Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 AM

Default What percentage of players \"consistently\" win?

Does anyone have any idea what the percentage of all poker players, actually win consistently (regardless of the size of winnings)?

2%, 10%, 30%?

Sorry- I'm just interested! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks,
ian
Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: What percentage of players \"consistently\" win?

define consistently?

All winners in the game win in the long run, but their profit chart looks a lot like a stock market chart - ups and downs, but moving upwards over a long time.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry- I'm just interested!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not forgiven.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
define consistently?

All winners in the game win in the long run, but their profit chart looks a lot like a stock market chart - ups and downs, but moving upwards over a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies, I realise now I haven't worded this very well.

Let me define 2 generic types of player:

PlayerA) Just knows the rules of holdem and plays for pure fun. Yes he's going to win a few games and lose a few games. Over the course of a year- I assume he's more than likely going to down (amount irrelevent).

Player B) Has done some research, knows some principles, studies the game.
He also will win some games and lose others. But over the course of (say) a year- he is "likely" to be up.

We all know (from reading books and 2+2) that the games can be "beat" with "proper play".

My question was: How many people (as a rough %) online and B&M are playing the game in a manner where they can expect a long term profit?

Or more simply: What percentage of all players have an idea of what they're doing?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Ian
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 AM

I think I have read and heard that 10% of those who TRY to become winning players succeed. This does not count for the millions of fish.

I have found poker to be like this...

Think of reading a book where it seems a simple story, a good guy, a bad guy, and a simple murder. As you read the book the plot thickens and a conspiracy unravels that involves the government all the way up to the president dealing with alien beings invloved in a galactic war. The plots are complex and twisted only to find in the end there was no abosolate villain except the war itself....

When I started playing poker I thought it was easy, simple, and a get rich quick scheme. Now after 2 years I can't believe how much I know and I SUCK compared to the pros. It takes an unbelievable amount of hard work, discipline, and love of the game to play poker well. I learn amazing new tactics every single month I couldn't conceive of 6 months ago. 30+ books, over 1000 posts, hundreds of dumb questions, learning to control my emotions while understanding the motives of others, and I stil have a lot to learn.

Now think about what percentage of players are profitable. I know I am.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Now think about what percentage of players are profitable. I know I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate it's going to be a small amount- that was why I was interested if anyone had an idea how small.

Lets' say 50% of all players set off a path to learn to beat the game.

Going with your figure of 10% for the people who are successful- that would mean 5% of all poker players play "properly" to varying degress (enough to make +profit) over the long run. Sound realistic?

R***B*** aside, the losses from those 95% of players go to the 5% of winners. So it would it be fair to say that the VAST MAJORITY of all poker players are losing?

Cheers,
Ian
Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 AM

Yes. Otherwise I would not make any money. Takes a lot of skill to be better than break even or get a profit that is reasonable. Even the 1/2 no foldem holdem games at the indians need a certain finese and strategy chance to be profitable. Poker is NOT easy as I hear so many times from young college punks thinking their good.

Live games are softer than online games by far. My experience in Florida is that Full 10/20 is about as difficult at Full 3/6 online BEFORE the TAGs hit the tables several month ago. Now 3/6 is harder than 10/20 live in Florida. Of course I don't know where any of these illegal poker houses are I just hear whispery rumors and 2nd hand information.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:59 PM

No .. I do not think, that the percentage of winning players is as low as 5% ... yeah, it makes you feel good, that you have worked hard on your game, and you have learned and struggled and invested a ton of hard work, and now you are beating the game .. but truth is, that it is not that difficult to become a winning player, albeit winnings might just be 20$ a month or so, still you are a winning player

But it is a good question, what percentage of pokerplayers are winning, and how big a percentage are just donating (and these might enjoy themselves immensely even though, they are losing in the long run)

I lost about a 100$ the first month of playing, but soon won it back and now 8 months later I have a plus of 5000$, since I'm no Einstein or natural at this game, I do not believe it to be an uncommon occurence
Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 PM

You should take into account that it takes significantly less time for some to learn the same thing as others. Pure work will not make you good - you need talent - an ability to learn very quickly.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:04 PM

7 or 8%. Seriously.