Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Default SB push with 53s ... stay with me

Live tournament, started with 40 people, down to half the field (2 tables). 7 spots pay. I think I have a tight image (although the table as a whole is tight), but I've made a couple of LP and button 3x raises to get the blinds (no showdowns). My friend is at the table, and we've been tossing the term 'pushbot' around.

Blinds are 200/400, I have something like T7,000 (slightly above average) in the SB. BB has T2,000 before posting. BB is also a solid, tight player, who realizes he has to make moves and steals to keep his head above water. I guess he respects me as the same type of player (although I've shown down nothing but premiums from his point).

Folded to me. I have 53s in the SB and push.

Goot?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: SB push with 53s ... stay with me

I push as fast as they let me.

i realize that doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:46 PM

No goot stealing from a small stack who will be down to 4BBs if he folds this. Especially with the table talk about "pushbots."
Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 PM

don't like it, when BB has a small stack and blinds are high, this is the last player you want to do this against, because he'll feel compelled to call with a lot less since he has a shortstack and knows your range is wide from the SB.. best people to steal from are people with similar stacks to yours.. not small enough so that they have gamble in them, not big enough that they can pick you off without much detriment to their stack.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't like it, when BB has a small stack and blinds are high, this is the last player you want to do this against, because he'll feel compelled to call with a lot less since he has a shortstack and knows your range is wide from the SB.. best people to steal from are people with similar stacks to yours.. not small enough so that they have gamble in them, not big enough that they can pick you off without much detriment to their stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chapter & verse from HOH. Also, it makes intuitive sense.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:57 PM

What kind of calling ranges can we assign him such that this push becomes profitable?

(I'm an SNG player by nature, so I'm trying to figure this one out using that approach. I mean, this would be an AUTO-push if we were on the bubble since I have him covered, but I'm unsure if the same applies in this situation. I think I have a lot of fold equity, and even if he calls, I win the hand 2/5 times against two overs.)
Old 12-14-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of calling ranges can we assign him such that this push becomes profitable?

(I'm an SNG player by nature, so I'm trying to figure this one out using that approach. I mean, this would be an AUTO-push if we were on the bubble since I have him covered, but I'm unsure if the same applies in this situation. I think I have a lot of fold equity, and even if he calls, I win the hand 2/5 times against two overs.)

[/ QUOTE ] The difference is that an SnG has a flatter pay-out structure. So sometimes it is correct to fold into 3rd place.

In an MTT, it's rarely correct to fold into the money. Plus, here, we are not even close to the bubble. He will have to double up soon. If he doubles up against you, he has a lot more chips than if he folds this and doubles up later.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 PM

if he's a good player he'll probably call with any hand that's better, equal, or a little less in value than a random hand.. he's still throwing away the very worst hands (i'd imagine he's throwing away like bottom 20-30%), other than that if he's a good player as mentioned, he's probably going to look you up like 60-70% of the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:10 PM

effective stacks are 5bb... i'm pushing anyn two here.

But i'm a retard from the SB i think.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he's a good player he'll probably call with any hand that's better, equal, or a little less in value than a random hand..

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you've seen the guy do something like this before, i'm not giving a random player credit enough to make good borderline calls. No way do you get looked up here 60/70% of the time. 25%-30% is a lot closer.

Examples of hands in the top 70%: T2s, J2s, 34s 35s 36s etc etc.

Any pair, any ace, and broadway, a few extra random kings/queens. is like 30% of hands, aand i think is what i'd give to this player that we decided is 'good'.