Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 07-11-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: How good is KQo?

Hi,all.I`ve been playing a lot of 10/20 lately on PStars and find it very aggresive&tough there.One thing i`ve noticed about hands like KQo and AJo is that I make more money with those when i`m running bad and losing as opposed to when winning or in a normal play.The reason i think is that when i open raise with those 2 hands premium hands like AA-10 +AQ,AK will always reraise me but in adition to those when running bad I`ll be often 3 beted by a lot of crap from QJ all the way to 73o which will not happen normally.This is where the extra equity for KQo,AJo comes from IMO.The key is to let the yahoos bet into you all the way to the river if you catch a good flop but fold if you miss completely cause running bad is not the image you want when tring to bully the yahoos.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:09 AM

I think KQo is an easy raise when opening the action from any position. And I would also raise with it if there has been one limper, and perhaps even 2.

But I'm not sure how to play KQo when there's been a raise. If someone relatively TAGish raises utg, then I probably fold, unless I think the guy is weak postflop. If I'm in the blinds and the raise came from a steal position, then I think 3-betting makes sense. But I don't know how to play the hand if I'm in the sb and preflop raiser came from ep or mp.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:41 AM

Limping KQo makes baby jesus cry...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 AM

In my own experiance the weight of UTG raiser we usually take as a gospel is somewhat fuzzier in a shorthanded games(the shorter the fuzzier it is) as compared to a full game.I`m certainly not advocating reckless plays here but oftentimes you will be up against an inferior hand or a slightly better one.Here though in a SH game u should be thinking not only about the +-EV of your hand but also the cost of folding your hand.If you play 6 handed 10/20 (which is my usual game so I`ll use it as an example) each hand costs me BB$10 + SB$5=15/6 hands=$2.5.00.So the question really is : am I loosing > $2.5 by playing KQo against a raise (for no raise we all agree we play it 100%)?If yes then fold it if no then play it?Look at your stats and don`t forget that your playing stile and image at the table will also have a major impact on your actual results.Its not all mathematics and if it was then the bots will have it all at the end.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 AM

well it depends.

It's good enough to open raise from anywhere. It's good enough to raise limpers. Sometimes even from the blinds.

Other than that I'd only reraise with it in stealing type scenarios (including 3bets from the button when CO tries to steel)... or against ultra wackos in some situations.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:06 AM

I typically call a ep-co raise when I'm in the sb, and 3bet when someone's firing from the button.

But I'm pretty noob, and of course this is very situational yadda yadda.