Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Favorite hand to crack aces

[ QUOTE ]
I've never cracked aces before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: I just saw that you are a veteran and probably have been playing much longer than I have--therefore, I apologize for being so dense that I didn't see you were kidding. I'm slow sometimes... Now then, back to my post.

-----------------------
Either you haven't been playing too long or you are way too weak tight. There's no way after playing any decent amount of time that you didn't see a flop with jacks or something and set and crack aces--it just happens.

It's also fun to talk about how superior a player you are after pulling some BS like cracking them with a four duece. If I do that early in a session I order a beer, start talking so much BS, and I just wait for a hand, because let me tell you--I get more action then I can handle!

It's so fun. Nobody notices that I haven't seen a flop in three rounds, they just remember the [censored] four two. I don't call a raise because I think I am good--it's an investment to get myself into a potentially very profitable situation. I wouldn't call if I was against decent players--there's no way my implied odds are there--but with people who think hold em is two card stud and just can't fold those rockets, it's a gold mine.

Also, I will call raises with any cards against people I know will almost certainly lay a hand down if it's worse than TPTK. It's fairly easy to see who are the weak guys. Then they just get bothered that I steal so much from them, get their aces, don't let them go, even to an all in reraise on the end, and just leave the table confused and frusterated about how such a crazy idiot got all the chips.

Very few people actually pay attention to my play in other hands and notice that I do have some clue about what I am doing. And I don't go in with 42o against those guys.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:32 PM

It's not superstition, it's a matter of knowing a guy will not be able to lay down his aces even when it's quite apparent that they are no good. Not only that, he will toss away all his chips too in that situation. It's playing the person, not the cards. And as I said, I will happily sit down with any of you who don't understand that.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not superstition, it's a matter of knowing a guy will not be able to lay down his aces even when it's quite apparent that they are no good. Not only that, he will toss away all his chips too in that situation. It's playing the person, not the cards. And as I said, I will happily sit down with any of you who don't understand that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're speaking gibberish now.

[ QUOTE ]
It's playing the person, not the cards

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this cliche. Please, though, explain to me how it has any relevance to "What hand do you most like to crack AA with?"

Please pay careful attention to the fact that in order to "crack somoeones' aces," there must be a showdown, and you must show down a winning hand. (In other words, the actual cards do have relevance.)

I look forward to your reply.

Adam
Old 07-22-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're speaking gibberish now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't understand how the situation I have been describing can be profitable, then I am at a loss to help you--or just too dumb to clearly explain it. But I don't think I'm the idiot here.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate this cliche. Please, though, explain to me how it has any relevance to "What hand do you most like to crack AA with?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The cliche you hate is a cliche because it is applicable in so many situations, this being one of them. There is no relevance or correlation with this and having a favorite hand, I just know there are some fun stories people have about when they have cracked aces and was curious about some of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Please pay careful attention to the fact that in order to "crack somoeones' aces," there must be a showdown, and you must show down a winning hand. (In other words, the actual cards do have relevance.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's where I've been going wrong all these years. Thanks Einstien.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

And BTW, you wouldn't happen to play football in Carolina would you??? I know an Adam Stewart who does--and would happily argue this in person if you are him.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I supposed to reply to? You've yet to respond to my post. Somehow it seems you have managed to type a full page of words, but have not really conveyed explanation to my original question.

Adam

PS. And no, it must be another Adam Stewart.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Back to the original post....

This discussion is getting side-tracked and confusing. Let's get back to your original post:

[ QUOTE ]
Some of my fun stories, which I'm sure you all would find boring so I won't tell them, involve 43s, 42o, J3s, 87s, and my all time personal favorite hand, Big Lick-- 96 (Suited of clubs or spades being my choice).

And I think we all should take a moment of silence to thank those in the poker community who think 4:1 means invincible.

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) Please tell us a few of these stories. How exactly did these hands play out?

(2) Were any of the hands like 43s, 42o, J3s not played from the blinds? If so, please explain.

(3) Most of us realize that 4:1 favourites are not invincible. However, please explain where, when, and why you like to be a 4:1 underdog.

Adam
Old 07-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Back to the original post....

1. The hands almost always play out like this--I call a small raise preflop. If I don't flop trips or a straight or something awesome, I call small cheap bets to the river. Then I raise an ungodly amount on the end, putting the guy all in. The moron calls. I don't go in with crap against half way decent players who realize that something is wrong there--I am talking about finding people who just can't believe that aces have been beaten and give me their whole stack. That's how the hand invariably plays out.

2. If I find a person like the guy in the above paragraph and he and I have lots of chips, then yeah, I'll play them in any position. Of course all the other considerations have to be in place, but yeah, I'll call with anything from any position if the situation is right.

3. Because I'm getting 30:1 in implied odds.

I hope I have finally explained myself. I am not advocating playing crap because I think "any two will do." I am talking about people who donate when their aces aren't good and make up for all the missed odds and then some. I don't sit down at a table and shove preflop with 42o.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My all time favorite is the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This one time it was late in a tourney and the blinds were increasingly eating up stacks. Everytime I went all in preflop with a hand like KTs, A9s or any PP of 7's and above I took a big lead just by stealing the blinds.

So anyways, this one time I raised only 3BB with the very KQs. And a dude goes all in. While I'm thinking what to do, he types in "Let's dance", putting himself on a small PP. So I call, he had AA.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Turn: 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] That puts my opponent's heart in his mouth as any K, any Q, an Ace, a 9 or any hearts would win it for me.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] All the draws didn't matter after all and I type in "Thank you come again".

Actually I cracked them Bullets a couple of times the same tourney with the same K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and once more in a heads-up tourney the same day.

My all in time unfavorite is the AK. Heads up tourney, I go all in with AK, the dude has AA. Flop KKx, turn: x, river: A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, there are a lot of MySpace people and Sports Illustrated readers around here lately.

Adam
Old 07-22-2005, 08:11 PM

While it sounds like a fun day with KQ of hearts, I think you mistyped the aforementioned hand. You have two pair there, he has a straight. And I hate slick too when I run into aces--it's so good for tourneys in every situation except against aces--then it really sucks balls.