Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 05:02 PM

Default KQs meets a 3-bet preflop

This is one example of my overall question.

What do you do when you have KQs in EP and open raise, and get 3-bet by a solid player. This has happened a few times over the past few days.

Pokerroom 2-4 10 players

Hero, UTG+1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

1 fold, Hero raises, 2 folds, Villian 3-bets, 1 call, all fold, I call.

3 to flop 10sb

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

What's your action? I don't feel really good about my holdings. I don't really want to check/call, bet/call, c/r or check/fold. What line would you take? What line is really bad? Just looking for different ways to approach this situation.

Remember, villian is a good player.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: KQs meets a 3-bet preflop

Is it wrong to check raise and fold to a 3-bet? The only hands which he might have 3 bet that you're beating are JJ/TT and he's got a wider spectrum, 99. You're basically drawing dead to AQ, KK, QQ, and you're not liking your chances against AK. You have a couple backdoor outs in the straight and flush possibilities, but I just don't like my hand very much.

I would either check raise and fold to a 3 bet or check-fold out. Knowing my play lately and if I was being honest, I'd probably check-fold. Maybe weak-tight, but I figure there are better opportunities.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:10 PM

The only hand that a solid player 3-bets here that you beat is JJ. So, chances are, you aren't in good shape. You do have a backdoor nut flush draw which slightly adds to the value of your hand. I bet and call a raise if I have to and then fold unimproved on the turn.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet and call a raise if I have to and then fold unimproved on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have KQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, Villian calls, retard calls.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Now what?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:16 PM

It may be worth paying a bet to see the turn, but w/ a 3-bet and another player calling the 3-bet cold, you're almost certainly behind.

I would bet this heads up, but w/ the third guy, I check/call the flop for one bet, then check/fold the turn if unimproved.

I think the "bad line" in this would be paying 2 bets on the flop w/ two opponents.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:18 PM

I don't like raising pre-flop from EP with KQs... LP only... just my opinion...
Old 11-30-2004, 05:27 PM

Looks like someone has an A. The big question is, how solid is the villain, and how bad is the retard. In other words, would villain lay down a hand like KK and could the retard still have a hand like TT, 99, 88. I take one more show and bet, folding to a raise of course.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:32 PM

Having had similar problems with those hands including KQo and in later position KJ. All fairly strong hands that turn marginal at best against 3-bettors.

I think betting out has some advantages but so does calling and hoping to improve on turn.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:32 PM

Against a solid player with reasonable 3-betting standards, I would check/call the flop and check/fold the turn unimproved.