Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Why do I get into pissing matches?

For the sake of argument, let's assume I'm a winning player. (My results say so, but 15 months is too short a sample size, blah blah blah...).

Why then do I still feel compelled to get into to pointless verbal joustings. I've worked really hard to cut down on this, but I sometimes still 'mix it up'. I'm getting better at not starting it, but for some reason, as soon as someone offeres a verbal challenge, it's on. It's stupid and counterproductive.

In the athletic context, is has some value, I feel. "Trash talk" helps keep me focused and gets the adrenaline flowing. In poker, it rarely does anything productive. I think I avoid tilt well, but doesn't everyone? Do I really want people at the table focused on beating me?

Where does this come from, and what can I do to stop it? I really feel this is hindering my progress up the limits.

Thanks,
SP
Old 08-29-2004, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Why do I get into pissing matches?

Probally stems from an abnormally small penis. Try using a penis pump.

-Dimitri
Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM

Small but powerful...Hence the long range to be able to get people over the internet...
Old 08-29-2004, 05:27 PM

Default TrashTalk useless in Athletics.

The simple answer to trash talk is silently point to the scoreboard after the game. Winning is the ultimate trash talk.

In poker, just stack the chips and smile.

I would rather be the winner, and let the trash talker talk and grandstand and puff his ego as much as he wants during the game.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:43 PM

Default Re: TrashTalk is EVERYTHING in athletics.

Trash talk is EVERYTHING in sports. Point to the scoreboard, whats that?

Why point... did you score all 130pts in and bball romping? no.

Did you hit get 12 home runs and beat the dodgers 12-3? no

Trash talking is key. To be able to point to centre field and cork one over the wall.

To be able to score on cue in hockey.

Tell d-lineman that you gonna meet his mom in the end zone, then do it.

outs
Old 08-29-2004, 02:45 PM

I really don't have an answer for this .. but it is certainly something that is becoming more and more common.

I was watching WSOP on ESPN this weekend, and I Doyle was at the featured table along with a bunch of kids I've barely heard of. While I'm sure they're fine poker players, it was very interesting to watch the interaction with people like Doyle. He sat there and raked in his chips, told people "well played" and just oozed class.

By contrast, the kids where jumping up and down, pounding on the table, laying insults at people . . .

Class versus crass. It really is just a matter of character. Having character versus being a character. They are never the same thing.

Do you think you're a quality player? If so, then be like Doyle, let the cards speak. Like Churchill said, "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

Or, do you think you're just a marginal player and the only way you can make a name for yourself is to be so annoying that everyone remembers you based on you being the biggest ass in the room? If so, then focus on playing better poker. Build character, not enemies.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:54 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You do this on a table?

[ QUOTE ]
Where does this come from, and what can I do to stop it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ego. Flat out.

Learn more about the game and where your income comes from along with why it's beneficial not to piss people off at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
In the athletic context, is has some value,

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker? Athletic? What game are you playing? I think you mean 'competetive context'.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I really want people at the table focused on beating me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems you have a bit to learn. This is a no brainer of a question that you should've learned easily in your '15 months of winning play'.

[ QUOTE ]
For the sake of argument, let's assume I'm a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your post, im not assuming this. It also brings nothing to the topic other than showing your ego again. But feel free to tell us thinking players how you play when you get into one of these rants on your table. It makes our jobs much easier.

[ QUOTE ]
I really feel this is hindering my progress up the limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially in a live game, it will hinder you.

b
Old 08-29-2004, 03:29 PM

Bernie,

I think you are missing my point. I KNOW THAT THIS IS BAD FOR MY POKER. I'm aware of it. I want to stop. I'm asking for advice on how to stop rather than a lecture on what an arse I've been (which I probably deserve, I admit, but I'm not here for flagellation, I'm here for improvement.)

Not sure why I started with the 'winning player' bit (it all made sense at the time), I think it was to head off the "You must be a loser because only a loser would do this" and "you suck at poker. learn how to play and come back." arguments. If you don't actually think I'm a winning player, that's fine, but FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT, what would you tell a hypothetical winning player with these issues?

I may also have been unclear in my original post. I am not talking about "educating" here. I've (thankfully) managed to quit that. I'm completely aware that my income comes from their poor play. My problem is not "how can you call with that?" but more "F me? NO, F YOU!". Does this make sense?

Ironically, as I read and reread your post, I feel the same kind of anger that usually causes me to 'get into it' with a verbal aggressor at a table. I'm being attacked, must defend...

Let me just finish my response by saying that instead of replying with anthing helpful, you chose to attack me personally. Why is this? I've read a number of your posts and respect you, (congrats on the jackpot, good work with the boss, BTW.) but this response seemed a little mean spirited. I guess I'm just a little frustrated that I posted looking for help on what I know to be a character flaw that I wish to improve upon. Instead of help, I merely get belittled and insulted.

Sorry if I've wasted your time, but I seriously want help with this.

Thanks,
SP
Old 08-29-2004, 03:57 PM

Bernie was right about one thing.

Ego.

Why do you feel the need to defend yourself in front of a group of random strangers?

If you are playing online, and this is really a problem, turn off chat. You won't be missing anything.

I have no clue why bernie decided to rip into you, I think he even misread some of your post. He didn't seem to get your point that the athletic context was an example of where trashtalking could be advantageous, but instead seemed to think you meant poker was a part of the athletic context. very strange indeed.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:17 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default As far as trash talking

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't seem to get your point that the athletic context was an example of where trashtalking could be advantageous, but instead seemed to think you meant poker was a part of the athletic context. very strange indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it's good natured, it's fine. If you do it in the type of exchange the poster said usually resulted in especially with people you don't really know, you look like an idiot.

For instance, watching the WSOP where the guy is doing that to Greg, then wants to shake his hand and Greg refuses, i was saying, right on Greg. I wouldn't acknowledge him either. The other guy was acting like an A-Hole. His tone was anything but goodnatured in that exchange. The best response is to say nothing and show that it doesn't get to you.

b