Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Default 2/5 NL Live Game, why did he make this play?

This is a 2/5 Home game that plays deep. Everyone starts out with 500 for first buy-in. We are about an hour in have not played with Villian before, but he did finish in the top 200 of the WSOP Main Event this year so he must be decent.

I have 44 in the small blind 7 limpers I complete big blind checks.

flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, check, loose player bets 20. Villian raises to 50. All fold to me, I think about re-raising but dont(dont know why). I call, everyone else folds

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I check he goes all-in for 400. I have him covered. Whats your play.

I thought about this for a while and after some discussion I will post some thoughts.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL Live Game, why did he make this play?

Regret not bombing the flop?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:08 PM

You misplayed this hand. You need to define your hand and the villains on the flop here. There is a time and a place to smooth call a flop bet when you hold a set, but this is surely not it. As played, I cant tell you what the correct turn play is, but I'm pretty sure a fold would be incorrect. However, I do know you played the flop poorly, and now you're facing a difficult turn decision. Raise this flop man!!!!

Tex
Old 11-23-2005, 01:12 PM

Hi Justin.. You made some common mistakes in this hand especially with that many players in the hand!

1.) You need to CRaise the flop big..any straight card or spade that doesn't pair the board will kill your action on the turn. Make it $200 on the flop. I used to try and slowplay my big hands but they often would backfire on me in the end especially on draw heavy boards.

2.) Call his all in.. His action doesnt't indicate he has a made hand yet... he thinks you're drawing and he's trying to force you with an all in bet.CALL!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:45 PM

He bet $400 into a $165 pot and all he needs is a 5 for a straight. I would insta-muck. If he makes this play without a 5 in his hand, you'll have better spots to stack him later.

Oh, and JAM THE FLOP, there are way too many turn cards that kill your action or could cause you to make a mistake. Any spade 5, 6 or 8. That's 18 cards that you don't want to see.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:00 PM

What if we re-raise the flop and he pushes all-in, are we calling?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You misplayed this hand. You need to define your hand and the villains on the flop here. There is a time and a place to smooth call a flop bet when you hold a set, but this is surely not it. As played, I cant tell you what the correct turn play is, but I'm pretty sure a fold would be incorrect. However, I do know you played the flop poorly, and now you're facing a difficult turn decision. Raise this flop man!!!!

Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you defining your hand for? Why are you doing it?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 PM

Hi maranello,

Whether to call depends mostly on what Villain thinks of you. If he thinks you're decent (or better), but tight and a little passive (which is what your play so far in this hand indicates), then call. `In this situation, he'd reason that a player such as yourself would need a straight to call, yet you can't have a straight, given your tightness and flop action, so he just fires it all in, knowing you "can't" call. Therefore, you call.

If he thinks you and everyone in this "tiny little home game" is terrible, then he probably wouldn't make this play without a straight, and thinks you won't fold anything 2 pair or better. In this case, he probably has T9 or 65s/54s/95s or something, and you should fold.

I'd tend to assume the first part, since your play would seem to indicate to most players that betting huge with a cinch would be a bad idea.

Also, it must be noted that
[ QUOTE ]
he did finish in the top 200 of the WSOP Main Event this year so he must be decent

[/ QUOTE ]
, while not a dangerous assumption, is not accurate, either. Probably 1/5 of the top 200 were not even decent this year.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:27 PM

Seems more like 9T wanting a call from a 5 to me.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM

The OP needs to play this flop more agressviely to define his hand and to have a better idea of what the villain holds so he can play the turn correctly. Given the action, the range of hands villain could hold is too broad.