Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Making -ev decisions in capped buyin games to cover fish...

Does anyone do this? Say you are sitting at a typical 5/10, capped buy online and 3 fish have about 1800 or more. Do you ever make bad calls preflop, or "gamble" on certain flops in order to hopefully double through so you can cover?

For example, I am more likely to call a raise with KJo and 1000 behind if I want to catch up to other players, whereas when I have 3000 behind I don't even think about it and muck. Or I'll raise 65s utg with only 1000 behind in the hopes of hitting and stacking so that I can cover, even though long term with only 1000 behind this is probably a -ev play. A flop example would be check-raising all in with just a flush draw (i.e. you know you only have 9 outs against someone's tptk - and they are likely to call.) I also limp in with a lot more crap on the button/co after several limpers, and I'm constantly reloading to 1000 after every hand....

The list goes on and on, but I think you all know what I'm saying.

I find that when I do this I normally get myself stuck about 1/2 a buyin give or take, but a few hours later all is well.

Just curious to see if anyone else does this.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Making -ev decisions in capped buyin games to cover fish...

I never really thought of doing this, but against some people it is surely a good idea. Gamble with 1k now for the chance to get allin with 2k later as a big favourite.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:15 PM

I do this in live capped buy in games - Get it all in w AK preflop against the right guys etc...play it more like a tournament until I'm deep enough to cover.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Hmm, how do deep do you start out? I'll rarely get it all in preflop with AK for 1000 online, unless the guy is severely tilted or a maniac. This might be a little extreme.

Another example of what I'm talking about, giving excessive action to short stacks (200 or less). When I am trying to cover fish I will call this all in with almost any 2. If I hit I'm on my way there, if I don't, just click reload.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:33 PM

la is prob. talking about the capped games in LA, like the 5-5 300 games or 5-10 500 type.

azk- you should be more likely to call w any two on button when deeper, not short.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 PM

The specific game is 5/10 400 cap. You can also buy another 400 when you get below 200, so I sometimes make thinner calls to either hit a big flop or get below 200 so I can buy back up. I Probably wouldn't be as live for 1K.

Capped buy in really does suck, I gotta get out more.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:35 PM

The answer is you should always make the correct decision and playing KJ to an opened pot is usually and error. However, i do the same thing. I take chances as well, it is something im working on. On the flip side i find if i have a monster night sometimes i play too tight as if to protect my huge stack... Both things are things i need to work on But to answer you shouldnt play catch up make the right choices and your stack should grow....
Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 PM

To me it's the opposite. If the game is very good I will not gamble in big pot just to get a bigger stack to cover, if losing that pot will put me on tilt / make me play worse. It will often put me in a bad state of mind and I start making bad plays.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:44 PM

I do this if the circumstances are right, namely the fish has to have demonstrated that they clearly have no clue how to play their larger stack, the stack has to be in excess of 200x the BB in a caped buy in, ie 4k in the 10/20, I have to have position on them and preferably there aren't 1 or more skilled LAG's with immediate position on me. I won't go completely nuts with it but I'll definitely push/gamble more in situations where I very likely have a 40% or better of winning even against players that I know I have virtually 0% fold equity against. And I've noticed there are definitely a # of winning regulars at both the Stars & Party 10/20's who do the same, turn up the aggro/gamble factor when there is a visible fish with a stack.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
azk- you should be more likely to call w any two on button when deeper, not short.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I realize this, and I do. But I'm saying to get a stack to do this, I'll also limp behind 3 limpers with a lot of holdings...

In short, I'm looking to see if anyone else plays bad, -ev poker, making loose calls, bad bluffs, etc... in an effort to reap the benefits of +ev play with a bigger stack.