Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Default How valuable would a $215 coach really be?

i was reading an old thread through the archives where SvnFigures/iamcastleman stated that he taught his brother Gigabet how to play and he's now clearing $20K a month. later on in the thread, Gigabet stated that iamcastleman charged him $20,000 and he, in turn, would charge $30,000 [don't know if this is really true or not].

now, my question is it worth it to pay $20-$30,000 in order to be coached and taught how to beat the $215s or better? if so, how much of an ROI would you be looking to get out of such a large tuition fee?

one big problem that i had with the fee, as a working class man, is that i don't have $20 or $30K just laying around to shell out and even if i did, i highly doubt i would use it toward paying some guy to teach me how to beat $215 SNGs. don't get me wrong, that is one of my ultimate goals [reaching the $215s and achieving a decent ROI in them] but i'd most likely use that money to fund a bankroll playing/multi-tabling the $33s and $55s and just move up gradually on my own.

i have a twin brother in Florida, and frankly, if i was making $20K a month in the $215s, i would'nt charge him anything to teach him how to play. i'm a naturally giving person, so if i can help someone in need, and money was'nt an issue, my thing is, why charge them? then again, that just me--- i'm not knocking the brothers Dicken.

comments.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: How valuable would a $215 coach really be?

Look at it backwards, if you're earning 20-30k a month playing poker and you have to cancel a month to give someone intensive training, how much would you want in compensation?

Lori
Old 09-04-2005, 04:11 PM

Do you know what Gig's brother is up to now?

I'm almost positive he (Iwascastlemn) was sitting on my right in a $22 yesterday. Not that that's really indicative of where he's playing now, but I thought it was a bit strange.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at it backwards, if you're earning 20-30k a month playing poker and you have to cancel a month to give someone intensive training, how much would you want in compensation?

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, i would'nt cancel a month. i would arrange my day to where i could accomodate fitting coaching my broham into my schedule. as a matter of fact, if i'm making $20-$30K per month, i would spend that whole month in Florida doing it.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know what Gig's brother is up to now?

I'm almost positive he (Iwascastlemn) was sitting on my right in a $22 yesterday. Not that that's really indicative of where he's playing now, but I thought it was a bit strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know much about SvnFigures/iamcastleman. he did say in the thread he is a family man with a real job and only plays poker part-time [saying something to the affect of he couldn't assume that the extra income from poker would last forever if he quit his job].

*he also said he bankrolled Gigabet, too.*
Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 PM

I would say it is worth it only if the following conditions hold;
1. You are really serious about beating the 215s, i.e., you wanna become a SNG pro and make a living on that.
2. you play relatively poor right now or a total novice which means the room for improvement is big
3.the guy who will coach you is truly a top-notch player who has played at least 3000-4000 215s and had a solid track record and he is willing to teach you everything he knows about this game. he also has to be a top-notch coach

but still, i would not be comfortable to charge my friend or relative that kind of hefty tuition
Old 09-04-2005, 06:13 PM

heres my opinion: if you want to make money playing poker, learn something other than sngs.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:19 PM

Can you top 20K a month...I doubt it
Old 09-04-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
heres my opinion: if you want to make money playing poker, learn something other than sngs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm biased because I've played significantly more PP SNGs than any other game, but I agree with the above. It seems like if you want to get a top noch coach he could probably show you more in something like NL ring games.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i also play Pot Limit Omaha 8 and NL Omaha 8 (play money [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). you may laugh, but it's definitely made me a better NL SNG player because both games put an emphasis on postflop skills. but i agree with you. players who i really admire [Chip Reese, Phil Ivey, and Barry Greenstein] are good at all games.