Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Online Poker at Barnes and Noble?

The situation is that the internet is down at my house pretty much indefinately, but I'd really like to get some sessions in, and I figure that it might be possible that i could use the wireless network at Barnes and Noble to do so. However my gut tells me that this is most likely a completely idiotic idea (i live in IL btw). What should I do? What is the worst that could happen?
Old 07-15-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Online Poker at Barnes and Noble?

The worst that could happen is that you become one of those goddamn yuppie slackers who camp out for entire evenings in the BN lounging around and reading and talking and drinking $6 cups of coffee LIKE IT'S SOME KIND OF FRICKIN PICNIC.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The situation is that the internet is down at my house pretty much indefinately, but I'd really like to get some sessions in, and I figure that it might be possible that i could use the wireless network at Barnes and Noble to do so. However my gut tells me that this is most likely a completely idiotic idea (i live in IL btw). What should I do? What is the worst that could happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could get struck by lightning walking from your car to the bookstore in the B & N parking lot.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an idiotic idea if you're a losing player but if not then go for it.

The worst that could happen (aside from being struck by lighting of course) is that you'll be surrounded by curious yokels but if some of these yokels are hot chicks than it's a good thing.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:17 PM

The OP's point about being in IL is very relevant. IL is one of the few states where online gaming is officially illegal so the concern here is by playing on a not so secure network does he risk the possibility of arrest. I would say the chances are very slim. I reside in IL myself and have used wireless in hotels with no problems. I say get your sessions in. Chances are slim law enforcement has nothing better to do than randomly monitor BN networks for illegal activity.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IL is one of the few states where online gaming is officially illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? How do you know?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The worst that could happen is that you become one of those goddamn yuppie slackers who camp out for entire evenings in the BN lounging around and reading and talking and drinking $6 cups of coffee LIKE IT'S SOME KIND OF FRICKIN PICNIC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is a pet peeve of mine along with the crowd Starbucks attracts as if it's some high class Parisian cafe (without the hot chicks w/armpit hair that haven't showered for a week). Last time I ordered a cup of coffee there they seemed confused because I wasn't ordering one of their $6 coffee-flavored milkshakes.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Actually, the worst the could happen is that since wireless hotspots like that are vulnerable to being hacked into, someone could get your account info.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM

Remember tonite is the debut of the new Harry Potter book, so it might be hectic there.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the worst the could happen is that since wireless hotspots like that are vulnerable to being hacked into, someone could get your account info.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't bothered to snoop my own connections, but I'd assume that all of the major online players are encrypting their traffic stream. Sniffing the wireless traffic (which wouldn't involve any real hacking if it's an open WAP, btw) won't do much good, there.