Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-23-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Wanny\'s Coming Hooooooooooooooooooooome!

As long as the admin doesn't try to lowball Dave Wannstedt and his staff, Wanny will be introduced as the new head coach at the University of Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Huge turnaround as it looked like Pitt had to settle on Paul Rhoads or Matt Cavanaugh ... such big name coaches they are. The Pitt admins might have actually done something right for a change!
Old 12-23-2004, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Wanny\'s Coming Hooooooooooooooooooooome!

That's crazy. I've been in pittsburgh the last few days visiting relatives, and the papers never mentioned him once. I wonder how well that will work out, he's been a huge failure as a head coach in the NFL.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's crazy. I've been in pittsburgh the last few days visiting relatives, and the papers never mentioned him once. I wonder how well that will work out, he's been a huge failure as a head coach in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, once Walt left, Wannstedt was was the #1 guy on everyones list. For some reason or another, last week he said he wasn't interested. There were a couple rumors :

1)Long (the AD) never wanted Wannstedt but had to show interest to please the wigs.
2)Pitt gave Wannstedt some lowball money numbers for him & staff and Wannstedt said it wasn't worth it.

Wannstedt said he'd help out Long in the hiring. They had a phone call Sunday night to discuss interviews and somewhere in that phone call, Wannstedt wanted back the job. Long still had interviews so it was kept on the hush untill they talked again on Wednesday. They talked tonight about numbers and other things and it looks like it's a done deal and could be inked tomorrow as long as the money is correct (which it sounds like it is, 800K for Wanny and 250K for coordinators and 100K for assistants so Pitt's not being cheap for once).

To say Wannstedt is a complete failure as a HC in the NFL is not fair in the least big. His years as HC in Chicago were a joke. They never really had a good team after Didka left and had 3 GM changes in the 6 years he was there.

Miami was not his fault at all. In his first 2 years there, he made the playoffs. In his 3rd year, they missed the playoffs due to a tie-breaker (New England went on to win SB). In 2002, they went 10-6 and missed the playoffs (a team from the NFC will make the playoffs this year with a record of 8-8 or 7-9).

He always had Fiedler as his QB in Miami. Is it his fault his offense blew? NOPE! Is it his fault Ricky Williams is a flake? NOPE!

Wannstedt was part of the turn around in Dallas in the early 90's. He was D-coordinater from 89-92 and had the #1 defense in the league in 92 when they won the Super Bowl.

Even before that, he was D-coordinator at Miami for 3 years where they won a National Championship.

He's a great coach with great credentials and will be a HUGE asset to Pitt. He's also a name that everyone will know. I didn't think I could possibly get more hype over Pitt after the BCS berth but I have been proven wrong.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:55 AM

I heard two days ago that he turned them down flat. Said he had absolutely no interest in returning to coaching right now.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as the admin doesn't try to lowball Dave Wannstedt and his staff, Wanny will be introduced as the new head coach at the University of Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Huge turnaround as it looked like Pitt had to settle on Paul Rhoads or Matt Cavanaugh ... such big name coaches they are. The Pitt admins might have actually done something right for a change!

[/ QUOTE ]