Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Interesting question for football fans

Tackling is pretty easy. If pressed, I really think Vick could learn how to tackle/be physical. Bailey isn't big or exceptionally strong. He wouldn't be able to run over Vick.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are completely wrong...

I imagine the two are very close as far as speed, agility, etc, but Vick can throw darts, Bailey can not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying. But I don't think the ability to "throw darts" would be as valuable as the tackling and defensive ability of Bailey. I don't see any way that The Vicks would be able to score more than The Champs, as The Bailey team could run options and sweeps up and down the field on a team of touch football Vicks.

Put another way, Champ Bailey on offense with Mike Vick on D is more of a mismatch than vice versa. Champ could cover the Vick WR's, would win the trench battle and could contain QB Vick's running.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just so wrong.

1 - Vick is 6'0", 215 lbs. Bailey is 6'0" but only 192.

2 - Vick runs a 4.2 40 - faster than Bailey.

3 - Vick plays QB - the most complicated position in football. I think it's safe to say he could learn to play any other position (not that Bailey couldn't, but he played QB in high school and was moved to DB in college)
Old 12-22-2004, 03:01 AM

A few years ago, my college roommate and I got into a discussion about who would win in a game on 11 of me vs. 11 of him.

I played offensive line in high school, I weigh about 270, and I am very slow.

He is a crosscountry runner (though he could outrun me at any distance) who weighs about 130.

I ultimatly had to concede that he would win, because while I think I could score every time I had the ball (I'd run it up the middle every time), he could also score every time (by doing anything but running it up the middle). When we reached this point in the conversion, he stated that he would attempt an onsides kick on every kickoff, and I'm sure he would be more sucessful than me (at onsides kicks).

I was reminded of this a few weeks ago when Tennessee atempted 3 onsides kicks against Indy. I think this is a good idea against a team that is likely to score regardless of their field position.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:44 AM

Terrell Suggs was a badass running back in high school. I think he could play just about anywhere.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:13 AM

I assume you were all high when this conversation arose.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you were all high when this conversation arose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea. I was just thinking how mistitled this thread is...
Old 12-24-2004, 02:27 AM

Ok, first off I've been writing exams, so I'm gonna have to give this one a major BUMP.

Secondly, There is NO WAY Vick runs a 4.20. Actually, I should rephrase that. Vick could run a 4.20 under the following conditions: He is wearing spikes on a world class track outdoors with an illegal tailwind. Then he might run a 4.2. The fact of the matter is that 40 times are complete BS. Both Terrel Owens and Jerry Rice have NEVER run faster than a 4.6.

Anyway, forty times are just a pet peeve of mine because they are so overrated.

Champ Baily would be a better asset to a team than Micheal Vick. Contrary to what some would say, anyone who has played football knows that tackling LOOKS easy, but it is probably the hardest physical skill to teach, and definately the most valuable. The ability to "throw darts" pales in comparison to the ability to hawk balls and make tackles. If I'm not mistaken Champ played some reciever in college and regardless has vastly superior ball skills to Vick.

Anyway, off the top of my head, these are the best three answers as I see them.

1) Julius Peppers, simply because he is the best combination of size, speed and skill that the league has ever seen. I might take Ray Lewis in his prime, but his edge is more mental.

2) Jonathan Ogden, Ed Reed. For a two player team you have to realize that you're playing against a team made the same way. Therefore your best option would be to pick the best big strong guy and the best athletic fast guy (ball skills are essential here). The thing about Ogden is he is so huge (6'9" 340lbs) and dominating as a blocker. You could play three or four Ogdens with thier hands in the dirt on D to keep blockers off your Reeds who would run rampant, picking off every second pass. Ogden also has 1 or 2 career touchdowns as a tight end. It's hard to defend a 6'9" guy in the red zone. The nice thing about Reed is that he hawks balls better than anyone in the league, has the best speed of any real safety in the game and has the toughness to play runningback and linebacker with Ogden eating up the other teams big boys.

The answer to number three is obviously the same as two. With a team like this the passing game becomes irrelevent. Your defense with that many Reeds pass rushing, bumping and playing cover 2 over the top would catch more passes than the receivers. You could stay in a cover two all game long because of Ogden stuffing the run and you could bring a couple Reeds off the corner. On offense, just run off tackle every play with a 3 or 4 tight end set and let Ogden take you to the promised land.

And no, we were not intoxicated in any way when having this conversation.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrell Suggs was a badass running back in high school. I think he could play just about anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

LaVar Arrington was just SICK at running back in high school. I don't know what kind of competition Suggs had in high school, but LaVar came out of North Hills High School in Western Pennsylvania. He played in Quad A (highest division) in the WPIAL (Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League) and the WPIAL one of the main high school football hot beds outside Florida, Cali and Texas.

He's still pissed at JoePa that he didn't get a chance to be a RB in college. I have no doubt in my mind he could have been a HOF running back and I'm surprised no one mentioned him.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:49 AM

Good call. I would put LaVar in the top 5 pure atheletes in the game. Ray Lewis also played RB in highschool.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:54 AM

I've noticed a lot of people mention Julius Peppers in these questions. Will someone explain why he is better than Dwight Freeney or any other fast defensive end? Anyway, my answers to these...

1. Julius Peppers
2. Mike Vick and Peppers
3. Ed Reed and Ray Lewis

Other thing--nobody mentioned Tony Gonzalez, either, and he is an amazing athlete.