Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 02:10 AM

Default Re: top ten players

I actually like your posts, Packerfan22. Erick "Seidel" Seidel... now's that comedy!
Old 11-27-2004, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are guys like Chau Giang and David Gray always left off these lists?

And come on... Phil Hellmuth? Layne Flack? Martin Dekniff? You're joking, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, it's funny how you can honestly say Phil Hellmuth shouldn't be on that list. Wahahahaha! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Where has Paul Phillips been lately? Probably soaking it up in some sunny place with his millions of dollars, (Lucky F'ER!). Yes I am jealous.
The point of my post, uh why isn't he on the top ten currently? He's had a good two years, no bracelet yet, but he will one day. It looks like I am waxing his car, but I think he is a top ten player currently...

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul Phillips? Give me a break.

well seeing how everyone has expressed who they believe to be the 10 best players in poker, I shall do the same.

My top 10 players...

1) Phil Hellmuth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2) Doyle Brunson
3) Chip Reese
4) Johnny Chan
5) Berry Greenstein
6) Ted Forrest
7) Phil Ivey
8) Howard Lederer
9) Men "The Master"
10) Gus Hansen

Others: Chau Giang, Marcel Luske, Layne Flack, Daniel Negreanu, John Juanda, Scotty Nguyen, Dan Harrignton, Chris Ferguson, and for the ladies... Jennifer Harmon who I believe to be the BEST lady poker player. Sorry Annie. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 05:06 AM

Chau should be on everyones list. He has quietly done great in the biggest cash game around.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:24 AM

Thanks for being the only enlightened soul that I saw that acknowledges T.J.'s superiority. He is the best poker player on Earth. I can't vouch for his luck, but his skill is unbelievable.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:48 AM

Heh. Dutch Boyd?

My top ten, in no particular order.

Phil Hellmuth
Daniel Negreanu
Howard Lederer
Phil Ivey
Chip Reese
Barry Greenstein
Johnny Chan
Ted Forrest
Doyle Brunson
John Juanda

Others: Dan Harrington, Marcel Luske, Devilfish Ulliot, T.J. Cloutier, Julian Gardner.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for being the only enlightened soul that I saw that acknowledges T.J.'s superiority. He is the best poker player on Earth. I can't vouch for his luck, but his skill is unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1 person I forgot to mention (which is pretty pathetic because Cloutier is such a great poker player), however I wouldn't go as far as saying "he's the best poker player on Earth". Cloutier is definitaly in my top 15.

[ QUOTE ]
Others: Dan Harrington, Marcel Luske, Devilfish Ulliot, T.J. Cloutier, JULIAN GARDNER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is entitled to there own opinions, but do you really believe Gardner to be a notable mention?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:36 AM

Agree about Chau. He and Chip Reece are guys who could be amazingly successful in tournaments but they decide to make the real bucks in the Big Game.
My list is divided into three parts.

Cash Gamers
Chau Giang
Chip Reece

Tournament Players
Phil Hellmuth
Dan Harrington
Howard Lederer

All Around
Johnny Chan
John Juanda
Daniel Negreanu
Doyle Brunson
Ted Forrest

Honorable mention: Phil Ivey, Gus Hansen and Layne Flack
Old 12-01-2004, 03:26 AM

Honestly, I think that we never have heard of, and never will hear of the top ten best poker players in the world, probably because they want it that way. I mean, of course, the heavy hitters like doyle brunson, chip reese and johnny chan we all know, but if you've read Negranu's site, one of the things he says is that a lot of these "big names" you see on tv tournaments are broke and getting staked. If you want to find the best poker players in the world, I think you're gonna find them in the Bellagio, or in some of the big games in Europe making real money, not spending 3 days in a tournament trying to win half the money they could in big cash games.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is entitled to there own opinions, but do you really believe Gardner to be a notable mention?

[/ QUOTE ]
Aside from Gardner's (obvious) 2nd place finish in WSOP 2002's Main Event, he has cashed every year he's played in the Main Event, has numerous European titles, and many top five cashes between 2000 and 2002.

Plus, he's young -- full of potential. And I just love his play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just a note - add Carlos Mortensen to my list, as well.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh. Dutch Boyd?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bryan Watkins should be on the list.