Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Marcel \"Bluff\"

HGi Everyone:

I read the following from the August Bluff magazine. It's by Marcel Luske, is titled "7-Card Stud," and appears on page 108.

[ QUOTE ]
In 7-Card Stud, bluffing and semi-bluffing become more prevalent when there are bigger blinds and meaningful antes. In many scenarios, when the blinds get big, they will force the player to see the hand all the way through once they are in. This is especially true with a small stack, and in most cases is the correct play. There is a distinct possibility that you can outdraw the better hand and take a large pot in doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to let other elaborate. However, it does make me think a little about how the approach to our own Two Plus Two Internet Magazine is a little different.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-20-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Marcel \"Bluff\"

So you don't let people make statements then refute them?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:42 PM

No bluffing and semi-bluffing allowed in the 2+2 mag?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:20 PM

Default A Tough Question

Is that more or less coherent than the average Ken Warren passage? I surprise myself by voting less.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No bluffing and semi-bluffing allowed in the 2+2 mag?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Mr. Malmuth is pointing out that Luske appears to be contradicting himself.

[ QUOTE ]
bluffing and semi-bluffing become more prevalent

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't go with

[ QUOTE ]
In many scenarios, when the blinds get big, they will force the player to see the hand all the way through once they are in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't make a lot of sense to bluff or semi-bluff when your opponent has odds to draw out even if you showed him a better hand. Not having read the article myself, I can only assume Luske meant to say stealing the antes was important. Then again, if you can find an opponent who will fold too much late in a hand, I can't imagine a much better opponent to face in 7-stud.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:59 PM

Bluff magazine doesn't let Sklansky write whatever incoherent passages he chooses?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:38 PM

I believe I will expound upon the contradictions in Luske's thought process. Hopefully, Mason will elaborate as well.

In order for the semi-bluff to be a profitable play in any aspect of poker, the opportunity for fold equity must exist. In the aforementioned instance in Luske's article, versus a pot committed small stack, the exact opposite situation exists, making the semi-bluff play completely useless and fundamentally unprofitable.

Luske's noted situation would be slightly less -EV as making a cold bluff into a pot where the opponent is obviously pot committed due to the opportunity to improve to the winning hand.

lucydeucy
Old 08-21-2005, 03:24 PM

I think the point Marcel is trying to make is; if you are going to see the hand through to the end, you may as well bet aggressively to try to take it down now.

But I would have to read the whole article.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Telemarketing

[ QUOTE ]
I read the following from the August Bluff magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying we should subscribe ?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to let other elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]
What other ?

What happened to the first guy ?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 AM

I am not sure what to elaborate on, other than it is pretty fuzzy. The basic idea is no different than trying to steal the blinds with a push in a NL tournament when you are short. If you go to steal the ante's, and someone comes along, you may be comitted to the hand even if you know you are behind. It really does not give me any useful insight, but there are a lot of players who cannot grasp this sort of notion. (Like a player with 5BB who mini raises then folds to a push. I see this sort of thing a lot).

This quote is out of context, but I am guessing he does not go into things like chip equity and cashing equity in any appreciable detail. That's fine though if the magazine is aimed at neophytes IMO. (Of course that same neophyte may read that to mean every time you complete or raise on third street you are pot comitted...)