Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: An interesting AJo UTG hand

[ QUOTE ]
What is opponent has AT?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're screwed. I don't think you should limit your read to a specific hand.
[ QUOTE ]

And how does a turn check define my hand? Like someone said earlier, this is a WA/WB situation. I want to keep the pot small and see a showdown as cheaply as possible. That's the point of the turn check.

[/ QUOTE ]

A check on the turn doesn't specifically define the hand. A check and then a raise on the river does. Throw my advice out the window though because I mis-read the hand. I thought you caught trips on the turn.

My new advice is to still bet the turn. If your opponent has a 10, he will probably let you know on the turn and let you get away from the hand. A check on the turn sets up a tough river decision for you.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Inflating a pot with TPGK against a calling station at 10NL isn't aggressive, it's just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same could be said for raising UTG with AJo. The blinds are too small to be worth stealing and your putting yourself in a situation where the only hand that can call beats you.

[ QUOTE ]
What if I get re-raised on the turn? Then what? Drop the hand? At this level, I think villian is likely to do this with air or a T.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game is weak-tight, you won't be re-raised on the turn by anything other than a 10. If you suspected that someone at the table was capable of pulling off this type of bluff, raising pre-flop with AJo was an even bigger mistake. You set up the tough decisions you face on the flop, turn, and river. Make your later round decisions easy by folding this trash pre-flop.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 AM

I don't think checking the turn is terrible at all, for reasons you stated in a followup post elsewhere. I agree that even a passive player probably folds a non-T to a PSB when the Ace comes.

But there is one reason why checking may be a mistake, and that is you let an opponent who is probably behind see a free card that could beat you. Not likely, but still not good.

I agree, though, if you bet $2 on the turn and get raised, you're in a spot. It's probably a fold, but not a comfortable situation.