Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: I\'ve Read Barry\'s Book

[ QUOTE ]
"Thanks everyone, for reading, and for thinking of me."

If the good thoughts of people who know you can have a positive effect, you're certainly going to be fine, becasue everyon who knows you thinks the world of you.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've let that LA smog get the better of you, haven't you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I hate that this topic got sidetracked. I feel like I had a hand in derailing Mason's review and Barry's moment. Dangit!

I'm four days out of chemo now, and approaching normal again. I didn't have it too badly. I never puked, which is a thumb's up in my book!

Even with "chemo-brain" I still love Barry's book. So there! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Okay - so this is the 'Chemo is good or bad?' / Review Barry's book thread on 2+2.
Interesting combo.

Felicia - We are all pulling for you for the quickest of possible recoveries. You alread knew that of course.

Your openness about your ordeal is probably somewhat helpful for you I gather. Your courage truly is inspiring.

Now - to the other part of the thread (Barry's book).
I was very disappointed. I will be interested to see if others are as well when they get it.
I didn't know what to expect with Barry's book but it reads like a beginner's primer at times to me.
- don't bet too much on sports
- don't lend money to people who don't pay you back regularly
- the stakes at which you play depends on how much money you have
etc etc

There was some interesting stories and background on him.
There are lots of pretty pictures.
The hand examples are TERRIFIC and I completely agree that it's VERY interesting how Barry is willing to go through hands where he believe he made a bad play. That's the first thing that came to my mind.

I absolutely was loving the hand examples and would love more actually.
I did get something out of the book....but it's not as spectacular as I thought it was going to be.
Maybe that's just my style but I really did think it was rather 'fluffy'.

Again - I'll be interested to read what fellow like-minded 2+2'ers of the "can't wait to get it" vain conclude when they receive their copy.
I was also in the "can't wait to get it" category but it just didn't do enough for me.

(FWIW - I was also in "can't wait to get it" mode for SSHE and HOH and HOH2 and they all EXCEEDED my expectations. So I don't think my excitement to get this book was just setting me up for a let-down or anything like that).
Old 07-10-2005, 11:25 PM

I haven't read the whole thing but so far its been a major dissapointment. Its subtitle is "an advanced poker guide" so I was expecting advice that would be useful to high limit players. It seems like the first two thirds of the book is just general advice and psychology. This is good for beginners but advanced players have heard it all before. Of the last third of the book that is strategy, most of it is either standard for mid-limit or completely bizzare. There's one hand example where Barry folds trip queens to trip aces. I guess it was a great laydown but I don't see how it teaches me anything about the game.

I'm not saying the book is bad by any means, just I was expecting something along the lines of Harrington on Holdem (which I absolutely love - 800 pages front to back strategy) and I got a cross between The Psychology of Poker and a photo album.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Phil Ivey: \"Other people don’t think like you. It will probably go...

...over their heads."

Phil was right.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey: \"Other people don’t think like you. It will probably go

[ QUOTE ]
...over their heads."

Phil was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is at all a fair response to some of these criticisms.

Do you think Ivey was talking about glossy pictures?
That's a serious question.

I also want to mention that I am about halfway through this book. It has been a good read, but I can easily see where a lot of people are coming from in their thoughts.

Once I finish the book, I'll post my feelings about the whole thing.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hand examples are TERRIFIC and I completely agree that it's VERY interesting how Barry is willing to go through hands where he believe he made a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple people have said that but I did not think that was a big deal. I was surprised though by how frank and open he was with his away from the table life.

One thing I forgot to put in my review was that I really wish he had captions on the pictures. I think they are at the end, but a lot of times I would see one and wonder who was featured in the picture or where it was shot, not enough to go to the end of the book (once I realized the info was there), but enough to want a caption.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:35 AM

I'm thinking a Scotty Nguyen style jade medallian myself, thats got to be about as good as cottage cheese...