Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Late night AA

Since the SB folded, I don't know what they held, but MP had J10s and now enjoys my money.

I wanted to withhold some information when I posted this originally, but the "late night" subject line relates to me being very tired and playing at the end of a session and was close to falling asleep. I didn't even see the flush draw on the flop, or when it came on the turn. When the money went to MP I knew I should have signed off one hand sooner.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Late night AA

[ QUOTE ]
Since the SB folded, I don't know what they held, but MP had J10s and now enjoys my money.

I wanted to withhold some information when I posted this originally, but the "late night" subject line relates to me being very tired and playing at the end of a session and was close to falling asleep. I didn't even see the flush draw on the flop, or when it came on the turn. When the money went to MP I knew I should have signed off one hand sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you witheld info on the hand -- it makes it more interesting to analyze what what one would have done in the same situation as you (and it's too easy to get biased by actually knowing what the other person held...).

It makes some sense that MP had a flush draw and a backdoor straight draw (in retrospect JTs makes some sense since he played from middle position, but didn't raise pre-flop).

His call on the flop was a tad risky since he's getting a little less than 2:1 (assuming some money has been raked away). His hope is that you have a big enough hand that if his flush hits, you can't get away from your hand, so he can get at least another $12 out of the pot (either directly from you if SB folds, or at least another $6 from you or the SB if SB calls the flop, as he did in the actual hand); these numbers would justify MPs call on the flop (i.e., he needs to get back around $24 from his $6 investment into the pot to match the odds of hitting his flush or making his backdoor straight).

Either way, the board on the turn looked really scary -- not only because of the flush, but because there were three consecutive cards. So, you could, in theory, be up against a straight or even two pair (as some folks will see a flop with connecting cards like 65s or 76s, or even one-gaps like 75s). Of course, these last few hands are not the world's greatest when played from middle position. So, if your opponent is tight, they would be a lot less likely.