Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Rolled vs paired ace door

What is your fifth street play? No read on villains as I had just sat down.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (4.10 SB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (3.55 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___???
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Rolled vs paired ace door

seems a raise is in order here, why would he play so slow on 3rd with split aces? most likely looking at a diamond draw who thinks you've got a pair of queens ... but of course 4 diamonds are dead now so you're a pretty big favorite to win this one.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:56 PM

Agreed, I think trips are pretty unlikely at this point. I put a raise in and see where I'm at.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:06 AM

I'd lay a price that he doesn't have trips. He probably has a 4flush and a pair of aces, or passive 2pair. Either way I'm raising this up.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 AM

I might just call here. There is time to raise later if I think I have the best hand or make the best hand. I also don't mind carrying along seat 6 at this point. I'm not ready to totally declare my hand yet, which I am doing by raising the paired aces. I want to have the option to have some deception for the final two cards. I'm also not certain yet, I have the best hand. If he has 3 aces, i don;t want to raise him. and if he only has aces, I have him betting my hand. Now, because I can fill up, I am also willing to give seat 6 a shot at a flush or straight rather than chase him out. By just calling here, rather than raising, I'm trying to play both defense and offense at the same time. My goal is to create as much volume if I do have the best hand and to minimize my loss if I have 2nd best hand at this point.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:04 AM

I disagree with pretty much all of this.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:16 AM

I'd raise. It is very likely that you have the best hand. If the bettor had started with Aces, he probably would have raised on third street, right? If the guy behind you has a flush draw, you'd love to see him fold, but good luck with that. If he's going to try to draw out on you, charge him for the privilege.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:20 AM

I am pretty sure I would just call. I put both of your opponents on flush draws, and unless the guy in the middle is a special sort of player, I doubt he will fold his draw to a 5th st raise.
If they both miss their flushes on 6th st, I'd raise after AA bets out. This way, you save a bet if they flush on 6th, and are able to gain back the missed raise on 5th.

Michael
Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 AM

You don't save a bet if they flush on 6th, you lose more by not betting with your equity edge on 5th, then now calling with worse odds on 6th. (*See below for more, but you are such a big favorite that the ev you gain by betting here is so huge that passing it up kills you)
You can also get 2bets in on 6th if they flush up and you fill up.

*MOST IMPORTANTLY I don't think you realize how big your equity is even if one play has aces and a 4flush, and the other guy has an oesfd.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:15 AM

Fifth street is not the time for deception.If seat 6 sees that you are not afraid of possible A's up & figures out that you may have 3 Q's & folds his flush/straight draw,fine.Make them pay to draw at you.You have the best hand now, are the most likely to end up with the best hand,& the pot is big enough to protect.Raise!