Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 03:42 AM

Default I am pissed (not high content, but not exactly low)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG+1 ($629.31)
MP1 ($152.45)
MP2 ($231.80)
MP3 ($190.50)
CO ($97.95)
Button ($194)
Hero ($196)
BB ($236.95)
UTG ($210.05)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $7</font>, MP2 calls $7, MP3 calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $7, Hero (poster) calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($37) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: $67

remember when u would stack people everytime here?

this is still extremely standard right?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: I am pissed (not high content, but not exactly low)

It's odd how this is a bad beat post that doesn't have a bad beat.

I'd pot the flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:12 AM

LINK
Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 AM

i dropped 3 buy-ins to the same guy tonight, every single one of them went like this.

flop: xxx
check, check
turn: y gives me the nut straight/flush
money goes in
river: z pairs the board, his slowplayed set scoops

repeat x 3
Old 12-19-2005, 04:28 AM

Standard. Check-raise is also fine, even slow playing the flop entirely against the right opponent (assuming it was guaranteed heads up) would be fine in moderation.

Flopping a set and having it go nowhere is pretty common, not exactly grounds for a post.... (even in BBV).... Decent players tend to shut down a bit when 5 players see the flop for a raise. You're gonna have to run into 33, a strong K or a nice combo draw to have a chance at stacking most players here.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:50 AM

I dislike it. I only lead into PFR's with sets when I know they for sure have an overpair that'll pay off or when I know it'll look like a draw of some sorts and get raised. The only overpair from the original raiser that'll give action is Aces. Kings have you crushed, and Queens is mad you caught a King on the flop.

A big bet will also slow down hands you want in. I think I check-raise. I want someone to bet like $12, get a few calls, then I can gunnnnn it.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I dislike it. I only lead into PFR's with sets when I know they for sure have an overpair that'll pay off or when I know it'll look like a draw of some sorts and get raised. The only overpair from the original raiser that'll give action is Aces. Kings have you crushed, and Queens is mad you caught a King on the flop.

A big bet will also slow down hands you want in. I think I check-raise. I want someone to bet like $12, get a few calls, then I can gunnnnn it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to make like $30 on this hand or are you trying to stack somebody. I believe leading at this flop is FAR superior to checkraising for several reasons. You don't want to give a free card in 5-way action with a flush draw out there, check-raising is scarier and may force a hand like AK to fold after very little action, and finally if somebody makes a good sized raise you can get it allin on the flop (which is very good).
Old 12-19-2005, 05:08 AM

not awful to check flop, let raiser bet his slick, maybe someone else gets involved with a draw or whatever. Basically, you can trap the players between raiser and you.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to make like $30 on this hand or are you trying to stack somebody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final Pot: $37

You can stack people with check-raises as well. I am confident somebody will bet this flop. I very much like to survey action in multi-way pots before I act. The check-raise can kill action from AKo, but so can a $30 lead from a decent player against another decent player. How often are you stacking someone with TPTK here anyway?

My point is, I don't have a standard play after checking. It depends on the action that follows the check.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 AM

From my experience, from both sides, it's much much harder to get away from TPTK if you are lead into on the flop