Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 10:25 PM

Default How i lose a lot of money in the long run with AK, AQ

I hope the subject wasn't misleading -- I dont mean i lose overall, I just seem to lose more than I should or need to.

Here's a classic situation for me. Ive lost countless dollars playing this way. Is there a better approach, or is this just standard? At least when I'm in position I can check behind on the turn and see the river, but even then they usually bet into me (1/3-1/2pot bet) on the river and I'm forced to fold my A high.

The bisonbison converter isn't working, sorry. I'll try to make it look a bit more readable. I am dctrfunk.

***** Hand History for Game 319068862 *****
$100 NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, December 12, 20:21:29 EDT 2005
Table Table 65366 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 5: win14win ( $63.25 ) (villain)
Seat 6: soreteeth ( $74.05 )
Seat 7: Pdaluch ( $163.75 )
Seat 9: rassler130 ( $126.45 )
Seat 2: RiverMonkey3 ( $100 )
Seat 10: DctrFunk ( $98.65 ) (hero)
Seat 4: stiwari79 ( $108.25 )
Seat 3: bigbadbennyb ( $100.85 )
Seat 1: klabar ( $98.50 )
Seat 8: Lambdas ( $87.54 )
Lambdas posts small blind [$0.50].
rassler130 posts big blind [$1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to DctrFunk [ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
DctrFunk raises [$4].
klabar folds.
RiverMonkey3 folds.
bigbadbennyb folds.
stiwari79 folds.
win14win calls [$4].
soreteeth folds.
Lambdas folds.
rassler130 folds.

** Dealing Flop ** [ T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ] (pot is $9.50)

DctrFunk bets [$6].
win14win calls [$6].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] (pot is $21.50)
DctrFunk checks.
win14win bets [$10].
DctrFunk folds.
win14win does not show cards.
win14win wins $30.45

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-grant
Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: How i lose a lot of money in the long run with AK, AQ

I'll sometimes throw out a $16 bet on the turn to really try to sell the overpair.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 PM

Position is crucial in this game. You can take a stab at the pot after you've raised preflop to try and take it down but it won't always work (remember the times it does work and you do win the pot). You have to shutdown if you don't improve. Everyone loses money in this spot, that's just the way the game goes.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:41 PM

Bet more on the flop or check behind and hope to spike an a,k, or club. this is where pt can help if you look at the flop/turn percentage. You are going to get called here by most mid pp's, clubs and any Tx.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:45 PM

That's the text book version you are playing. And it is correct. But, you can't do that all the time. In this case, although it's considered weak, you might on occasion check the flop. I do this often to flops like this. It throws the other guy off his line.
His line is this:
He figures you for weak, tight.
he calls your raise and flop bet, because you always play them that way.
he waits for you to show weakness, typically on the turn, because you have nothing.
here, with little or nothing, he bets big and you fold.
This worked on me for quite a while. I started "hunting them down" by calling them and seeing it thru, just so I could see their cards. More often than not, they had nothing, and poor cards to boot. A,K or A,J would win it.
Here's how you figurte it out for yourself. Move down to $25 or $50 NL. Play your same game , but call these guys several times. They are always LAG's by the way. This doesn't apply to TAG's. You'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that most often, there is no further bet once you call the turn bet.
Another way to get the same information, but even more fun, and profitable, is to raise with 88 or 99 etc, and when you hit it, play it like A,K. So you check on the turn, the guy bets $10, and yuou call it down. This is cheaper than my first proposal, and more fun too.
You'll instantly be getting more respect at the table, because you no longer a transparent player.