Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Do I have to lose all my money here with AK?

This seems to keep happening to me, since I don't play a ton of NL I can't decide if I'm overplaying TPTK on scary boards.

B&M $30 rebuy tournament, pays top 4, 2 full tables left, Blinds 100/200, I have about T3000. Rebuy period has been over for a while. Villan has just been moved to my table so I have no read, he has me slightly covered.

Villan limps, I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and make it T600. Everyone folds including the blinds, Villan calls.

Flop comes K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villan checks, I bet T1000. Villan thinks for a while and then calls.

Turn is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. There's 2000+ in the pot, I have about T1400 left, and a real bad feeling about this hand. Villan checks, My instincts say check behind, but I don't want to check and risk getting drawn out on by something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]or KQ, plus I am likely to face a big river bet after showing weakness. If he puts me all in on the river I'm getting almost 3:1 and it's going to be a really tough decision.

So, I bet all-in, he thinks for a little bit and calls, shows QJ. I guess he was worried I had AJ.

Can I file this as a bad beat story, or is there a point I can get away from this one?
Old 06-26-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Do I have to lose all my money here with AK?

I made a post a few months ago concerning dangerous flops. Pretty much the same situation. Your flop bet is OK, IMO. Some folks will advocate betting more, some less. I like your 2/3 pot-size bet. When villian calls, you have to ask yourself what he could be calling with...

Personally, I can't see him smooth-calling that sized bet holding QT. A-A or K-K may just call, as well as any J-x, but QT is more likely to push or fold.

I check behind on the turn and probably call his river bet. His river bet will normally be only as big a bet as he would expect AK to call, so you may be saving yourself some money by playing it this way.

I think you are going to lose money in this situation every time, so don't get too worked up about.

--Casey
Old 06-26-2004, 09:02 PM

i dont see how you could get away from this hand. i could say to make a bigger raise preflop, but that might not have made a difference. just remember that once he limps you have to raise a little more if you want him out. but i would checkraise the turn or just check and fold on the river if he makes a big bet. but this is a tough hand.

Pat
Old 06-27-2004, 05:45 AM

As AceKQJT says I would also check and then call his river bet. This is because of two reasons:

1. If he has trips he maybe just bets a little to get paid off = youre still in the tourney.

2. (important) You have induced a weaker hand, maybe a pure bluff to bet on the river and you win a nice pot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]