Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Deepstacked 3/6NL(6-max) QQ faces resistence HU on flop

Villain seems very solid. I've played about 90 hands with him, 32/7. I won't comment on my logic as I don't want to tip off what villain had. How did I play this? What range do you put villain on? Do you value bet river? Also note deep stack sizes.

Thanks,
-Ace

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

UTG ($664.68)
MP ($726.60)
Hero ($1125.40)
SB ($437.65)
BB ($1601.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $19.

Flop: ($53) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $350</font>, BB calls $200.

Turn: ($753) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($753) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $300</font>???
Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Deepstacked 3/6NL(6-max) QQ faces resistence HU on flop

I think if you were planning on value betting a brick on the river and wanted to check one of the two streets, you should have bet the turn and checked behind on the river.

- C -
Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 AM

Honestly I'm not looking to play a huge pot with a pair of queens on the turn. I assume he's either slowplaying a monster or drawing dead to two outs(PP). By flop/turn action I put villain on 88-JJ and a slight possibility of A7 and even slighter possibility of QQ-AA. Betting turn most likely is only called by a hand that beats me in my opinion. I guess the simplest thing to say was that I was most likely way ahead/way behind on the turn. I also am looking to fold to a 4-bet on the flop, the 3-bet wasn't to get more money in, but to give me an escape latch in case he moved in on me.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 AM

don't like the flop 3bet...makes the whole hand funny...
Old 10-20-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't like the flop 3bet...makes the whole hand funny...

[/ QUOTE ]

How else do I allow myself to get away from this hand? With villain flat-calling the 3-bet here and checking the turn I've given myself what could be a cheap showdown or value-bet opportunity. Here's another hand I had played 20 minutes prior but on a different table and used the same strategy on the flop. I think without the 3-bet of the overpair on this hand, I struggle to get away. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this hand as well,

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($630.15)
UTG ($191.50)
MP ($202)
Button ($70)
SB ($557)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $6, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, Button folds, SB calls $18.

Flop: ($54) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $160</font>, SB calls $453 (All-In), Hero chats "99, nh" and folds.

Final Pot: $747

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown.
SB shows [ 4d, 7d ] a straight, three to seven.
SB wins $747. </font>
Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 AM

on this board, most people with a set will smooth call your 3 bet, they won't push and just make life easy for you. usually you should do it on draw heavy boards... here the only real draw is 89 or 58. call the flop, play poker. 3 betting makes the pot huge for no reason, now if he smooth calls and bets small (1/2 pot or 1/3 pot) on the next 2 streets, you have lost a crapload of money. just smooth call and use your position.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:15 PM

Villain went into the time bank and called with JJ. I really liked the way I had played the hand as it had a very nice outcome; however, I wonder what would have happened if he had 77 here. I also wonder what I would have done to a big bet on the turn, although I know I call his checkraise on the river if he's tricky enough to slowplay his hand that hard.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:29 PM

Villain went into the time bank and called with JJ. I really liked the way I had played the hand as it had a very nice outcome;

I think you're damn lucky he called your three-bet on the flop, cause he definitely should have folded or pushed on you (only pushed if he thought you could lay it down). I still think you should have bet the turn rather than the river...

- C -
Old 10-20-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain went into the time bank and called with JJ. I really liked the way I had played the hand as it had a very nice outcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoping I don't have to elaborate here.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're damn lucky he called your three-bet on the flop, cause he definitely should have folded or pushed on you (only pushed if he thought you could lay it down).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does appear that the villain in this hand is actually a good friend of yours and felt like giving you money. His play is that bad. So is yours, unless you were aware of his propensity to play hands in this fashion.