Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-18-2004, 01:59 PM

Default borrowing money to friends.

As some of you know, I host a crappy home game in my basement. We play 4 or 5 days of the week. Some of my closer friends seem to always owe me money.

Me and a buddy let 2 other kids play on credit for too long and cut them off. But, that's another story. Still haven't seen a penny in about 3 months. I learned a good lesson there.

Right now I have about 200 on paper that I've borrowed out.
I have a .5/.5 blind game with a $50 max buy in, but most people buy in for $20 or $30.

They always seem to pay me back within several weeks.

Should I say I'l take say 20 or 30% of their winnings when I borrow them money? Or should I just keep it friendly and be a friend and borrow them some money?

I've also got some "new blood" in my game. These people dont' have a clue, just call with the nuts, and play big pairs soft not knowing they are slowplaying. The blinds are $.50/$0.50, they'll limp in every hand, and fold to raises unless they have a "hollywood hand." Should I make the blinds .5/1, or even 1/2, or would that be too big for a $50 max buy-in while having people buying in for only $20?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: borrowing money to friends.

don't loan money to them

if you can afford to play, you can afford to pay up front- it's as easy as that.

there is no easier way to turn a friendship upside down than by welching on a loan.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Loaning money to friends.

Loan
Borrow
Old 10-18-2004, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neither a borrower, nor a lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Loaning money to friends.

my thoughts exactly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 02:43 PM

Don't lend out money to friends unless you don't care if you see either of them again.

-d
Old 10-18-2004, 03:44 PM

UGGH, letting people play on credit is a BAD idea. My sophmore year of high school my friends and I would play like 2 or 3 periods everyday during school and would have to write everything down rather than using chips or cash since gambling wasn't allowed in school. I ended the year with about 2 grand in unpaid debts and 3 years later I still look back and cannot believe how stupid I was.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:11 PM

I couldn't think of a worse thing to do than lend people money to gamble with. Especially friends. Friends are too valuable to waste, and human nature being what it is, sooner or later some of them wind up screwing you, and some even wind up expecting you to not be bothered by that or pretend it never happened, adding insult to injury.

An awful side to it is that some chumps will pressure you that you're not much of a friend if you won't even loan them money. But if you have to pay for a friend, he's not a friend anyway.

Besides, if they don't have enough money to pay you before they've even played, what are they going to pay you with when they bust out?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:05 AM

I agree with everyone in this thread. Loaning money regularly at the poker table is just a bad idea.

Sometimes I'll loan to a close friend a single night's buy-in, when I'm certain he'll pay me back. I've never had a problem with it, but I only do it with guys I trust explicitly.