Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 02:26 AM

Default 40-80 Hand

Bad 40-80 at the Commerce. I sat on the table change list for quite a while as I had a specific game scoped out, but meanwhile, I was stuck here.

I open raise from EMP with 8c9c. Tight player 3-bets in MP, another tight but aggressive player caps on the button. Blinds fold, I call, MP calls. 3 to the flop for 6.75BBs.

Flop: Qd Jd 5c. Checked around.

Turn: 9s. I bet, MP folds, Button calls.

River: 6h. I ponder and check.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:35 AM

Default Re: 40-80 Hand

I'd bet the river and give him a chance to fold TT.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the river and give him a chance to fold TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think the river check is pretty terrible. That's mostly why I posted the hand.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 AM

I think you played well. I wouldnt be in love with it on the turn, but I think you have to bet. The pot is big, and if you get raised you can safely toss your hand. You put MP in a tough spot by leading and he may fold something like 1010 since he still has the button behind him, and probably gives you credit for at least the Jack.

On the end, I think you are gonna be up agaist AK, but I cant see you getting a call from a worse hand unless you have one hell of a table image. I think checking and calling a bet is best.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:44 AM

Yeah, I think the river check is pretty terrible. That's mostly why I posted the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you there. I think he's betting the flop with 1010. I also think if he does happen to hold that hand, he is defintely calling the river if he decided to call the turn. You said he was a solid player right? The river was brick and the pot is large. When a reasonable player makes a call on the turn like that with something lke 10's, he's gonna call the river just about everytime a blank falls on the end.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:46 AM

Could be. The problem is that TT turned open-ended, so there's a chance that he is more likely to have been thinking of his hand as a draw rather than a possible best hand.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:50 AM

I overlooked that. Could be you had reason to bet the river.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with you there. I think he's betting the flop with 1010. I also think if he does happen to hold that hand, he is defintely calling the river if he decided to call the turn. You said he was a solid player right? The river was brick and the pot is large. When a reasonable player makes a call on the turn like that with something lke 10's, he's gonna call the river just about everytime a blank falls on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, though, Clark is gaining a little bit of extra bluffing equity from the fact that he open-raised from EP ... presumably he's not open-raising from EP with 98s if his table image is very loose. It would be natural for the Button to put him on a hand that contains a Q or a J, and the fact that the Button checked the flop is pretty significant here, since it indicates that he's scared of a check-raise. If it was the MP player that had called the turn bet, we'd have a different situation here.

I don't think he's going to fold TT all the time here, but I think he'll fold it some of the time in a pot that is *not* all that large. There are really only so many hands that he can hold here, and a bet costs you very little in EV against AK.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:07 AM

hi clark
i don't know about the call of 2 coming back to you on the pre-flop, but the rest of the hand is fine.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:13 AM

Of course you call 2 more. He doesn't have AJo he has 89s.