Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 AM

Default $0.25/$0.50 PS - AKo at passive table, a couple maniacs

It was a passive table, I can say that UTG+1 had been raising with crap hands like K8o. The fact that no one else had connected and I was the last one with him on the turn made me think he may be continuing his continuation bet from the flop. When he called my raise I was ready to fold on the river, until I considered his past hands and the size of the pot I would have felt dumb for folding the winner.

Did I over value my hand? Given he was raising with crap, should I have reraised pre-flop to isolate him?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB
Old 11-22-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: $0.25/$0.50 PS - AKo at passive table, a couple maniacs

Ummm, 3bet preflop?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:03 AM

The raise pf is not to isolate, you have AK!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 03:05 AM

The way you played it, I think I fold on the flop. You're draw is weak, only to top pair. You could be drawing dead. The pot is small. you are out of position. Maniac has the lead in the betting.

I would have re-raised the flop. Even against a tight raiser. He's loose, he's maniacal - I'd reraise him with AJo. Is that bad?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Did I over value my hand? Given he was raising with crap, should I have reraised pre-flop to isolate him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Among other reasons.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would have re-raised the flop. Even against a tight raiser. He's loose, he's maniacal - I'd reraise him with AJo. Is that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make it a point of not getting into raising wars with maniacs when I hold Ace high.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:00 AM

as others have said: 3-bet preflop. if he's raising crap, you could easily have the best hand. so it is for value as well as isolate especially if he has K8 and a K comes on the flop.

on the flop: to continue (which again you could have the best hand) you need to raise. you don't want to give people a cheap chance to draw out on you (8/9/Q/J in particular) especially since you could still have the best hand.

the hand would play differently from there.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 AM

Like everybody else said, this is an automatic 3-bet preflop. If your read on UTG+1 is "maniac," you could 3-bet much weaker hands than this (Axs, 66, etc.) but this hand is an all-day everyday 3-bet against anybody.

Against a maniacal player, I 3-bet preflop and bet the flop. If I'm still UI on the turn I check behind with the intention of calling any river card.

Given your preflop and flop play, there's no point in raising the turn. All this accomplishes is paying an extra bet when you're behind while folding out bluffs. The way you played pre-flop and flop, just call down.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 AM

*grunch*

I don't like the turn raise at all. I'd call here.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I did a stupid call on the flop thinking my overcards were clean outs if nobody held the ten. But when it was just me and him on the turn, I thought it was very likely a bluff and I raised more for value when I think about it.

...But it all boils down to, I should have reraised preflop.

Is AKo an automatic 3 bet pre-flop, or is it just against an average player? So against a "rock", I would just call to encourage more calls and see if the flop helps me?

Results below:
UTG+1 has Qs Ks (one pair, tens).
Hero has Ad Kh (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.20 BB.

Turns out he really is a maniac; he called my raise, and then still had the balls to bet into me with king high.