Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2003, 07:06 AM

Default good time for a check/call?

10/20 6-max.

When first in, MP is a frequent raiser, with possible hands ranging from JTo, on up, and have seen Axs raised by him as well. Plays aggressively when shown weakness, but tends to back off more when played back at unless he has a strong hand. MP raises this hand, and I am in the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] His postflop play is pretty easy to peg down, so I figure I'm giving up too much here by not seeing a flop. I call...

Flop: [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Check, bet, raise, call.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Bet, call.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check.

Comments?
Old 12-24-2003, 07:19 AM

Default Re: good time for a check/call?

Pretty standard. Good spot to induce a bluff. You won't make a better hand fold, and he's likely not calling unless you're beat or winning with the kicker. Induce the bluff. Good work.

~D
Old 12-24-2003, 04:54 PM

I'm no short-handed expert, but here's my .02: I like thin river bets, so my inclination is to bet unless convinced otherwise. Would this guy have played more aggressively with a flush draw? If yes, then the river bet is still a live option. Would he have played more aggressively with top pair or an overpair to the flop? If yes, bet the river. Will MP call you on the river with ace-high? If yes, a river bet seems cool.

What happened?
Old 12-24-2003, 07:54 PM

hi scneid
played fine.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:03 PM

Hey Hutz, the problem with a thin river bet here is that this guy is going to be able to lay down the hand that never got there for 1 bet...but he will always at least call you every single time if he has you beat. I love thin river bets. They are my favorite. I usually only make them after the guy has checked, though...again position is integral when making these thin value bets. This is a perfect check-call...he has the odds to try to buy the pot with a bluff, and you have a hand that you want to show down for 1 bet and not 2 if he raises.
-James
Old 12-25-2003, 01:17 AM

Default Results/Comments

So I checked the river, MP bet, and I called. And he showed JTs, for jack high, and I won the pot.

I didn't directly ask this but I am also glad to see that nobody commented that me sticking around in the BB with K7h was too loose. Against some opponents, sure it's a muck. But not against this type of a player, and I'm happy nobody commented it should have been.