Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 02:53 PM

Default The Low Question...

Now im talking about pot limit high low, not limit high low consider this before answering my question. Do you guys ever lay down A/2? Over the last few weeks I have found myself laying down A/2 a lot. Every single time I have layed it down I have had no high at all. It was basically As/2s/Q/7, or something along those lines and the flop was not of my suit and had no pair for me. I took a turn every single time it usually cost me about 4 dollars(the pot at a 100 pot limit game) and then when one person bet the new pot which was usually 25-50 dollars I would fold because I would see two or three others call. I have missed a few opportunities to make some money, but the majority of the time I would have been quartered or worse. Is this a normal laydown?, because I just always see people stay till the end with A/2 when its painfully obvious they are about to get quartered. Are they just fish? Should I ignore their play? Any opinions?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: The Low Question...

I quote from SS2 on folding the nut low:

"Nevertheless, it isn't a good idea to fold the made nut low very often. Sometimes it'll seem like your only playing for a quarter but you'll get a pleasant surprise when the other players turn over high hands" A good rule of thumb is that you need 4 people in a pot in order to save yourself from being quartered. Usually two are going for the high and two for the low. While the low can be split 4 ways, usually you'll get your money back (minus rake) at worst, and every once in a while get the second best low to call. If it's less than 4 people in the hand, and I am reasonably certain one has the same low hand, I stick around. This is 10 fold if I also have counterfit protection.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:01 PM

In PLO/8 it's very expensive, to be calling for "just the low." It's usually a looser play, since the object is to win money by making 3/4 or a scoop. With no high you can only hope for getting you money back, unless there was an unusual amount of action pre-flop and the pot is large and most of the other players have folded before it gets back to you. With a bet before you (early position) and players behind you, you can never know what's coming. Throw that looser away and wait for another hand.

Only time I make the play is when I'm nearly busted and ready to quit. I'll get my money in on a small pot and hope my bluff pushes out the one or two players who know there will be no pay-off since I'm "all-in."

I'm amazed at some of the calls I see people make. The the chat window fires up and they bemoan they "bad" luck.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:55 PM

It may be profitable to call a large pot sized bet if you have the nut low made, at least 2 others have also called, and you have counterfeit protection. In general though calling pot sized bets with only the nut low is a loser play since the best you can hope for is to get your money back.