Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 02:08 PM

Default The Darwin Awards of Poker

Allright, lets have some fun. I would like to start a "compitition" of dumb ass calls. Like we're talking, Oh my god, you are such an idiot to go all in with me, with those cards.....

My entry. While statisicly not the worst call of the week, as another opponet went all in against my AA with KJo no pair, on the flop, a real 1 in 56 shot against me there.

This hand though is just rediculous.

$100 max buy NL, 2-1 blinds, and I have about $110 on my stack.

I have A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] with a $110 stack, and limp into MP.

LP puts in a small, $3 raise. 3 players see the flop, about $15 in the pot.

Flop is J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

EP comes out betting $15. I quickly decide to push all in. I'm thinking that since I have the A , I'll show about 40% if called and will probably steal the pot atleast 50% of the time. Does this make sence.... hmmm, If I play the hand out 100 times, I win $30 50 times, in theory, for $1500, and when I get called, I win $120 20 times for $2400. I lose $105 30 times for -$3150. 3900 -3150 / 100 = +$7.50 average per bet, in theory, and jeez, what pro gambler wouldn't take those odds. Now in reality, here's what happend.

After the river, my hand didn't improve, so I was psycologicly prepared to put in a re buy, when my opponet showed with A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] ,
making A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] the best no pair hand, and winner of the pot!!! Remind me factor in the chance that I'm betting the best hand for value next time......

Now I'm sure, someone can top this hand, so please respond with entries into the "Darwin of Poker Awards"

AeonBlues
Old 07-21-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Re: The Darwin Awards of Poker

i've seen worse (i think).

one of my first sessions playing .10-.25 no limit, i get dealt KK in EP, raise min trying to stimulate some action behind me (which was the general way this table worked).

guy right behind me reraises another .25, a couple people call, i push in about $35, and he calls. when an ace hits i think i may be in trouble, but at the end he shows down his 65s.

whoever the first person was that discussed how great suited connectors are, thank you very much.

i also nominate the victim of the infamous 5 cent fold at PLO that was discussed at length a little while back.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:08 PM

A couple nights ago, same $100 max game, one guy is handing out money.

I get Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. Donator calls; folded to me; I raise 20; donator calls.

The flop comes T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I go all in for 75 (only because he'll call with anything); he calls and flips over A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. Queens hold up and I double.

Same guy, a few minutes (and rebuys) later.

I get 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] on the button. UTG+1 calls; EP calls; CO calls; I call; SB limps; donator checks his BB.

flop comes K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

checked around

The turn is a beautiful 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets 5; donator raises min; UTG+1 calls 10; I raise to 40; folded to donator who calls; UTG+1 calls all in.

The river is the 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

donator checks; I take him all in for $27 more; he calls.

UTG+1 showed a K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] cracked by his slowplaying and donator showed 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] for a runner-runner 4 flush
Old 07-22-2003, 08:52 PM

4 handed .25/.50 PLHE, I have around $50 after a few KK vs. AA hands. I'm in the big blind with A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . It's folded to small blind who makes it $1. I raise it to $3, and he calls. Flop comes A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] , not suited, and he bets out $5. I don't think that the flop him that well, so I call. Turn is the 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] , after he checks I bet out $10, and he calls. River is T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , he bets out $15, I decide to raise all in, around $18. He calls and shows a J6. I just don't get that call, what did he put me on, an 89?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:34 PM

Default A PLO Darwin Award

I don't remember the exact details, but when I first started playing PLO (2/4 blinds I think) I was involved in a 4 way all-in situation pre-flop at about 200 a piece. Three of the hands were at least somewhat reasonable, but the fourth guy, who just called raise after re-raise, had Q942r, one of the worst possible starters I can think of.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:38 PM

Default A man without (the) nuts

Playing 5 handed .50/1 blinds NLH on Pokerstars. LP open raises for 3 and I make it 10 to go from the blinds with AKo, only he calls. Flop comes J77. I take a shot at it betting another 20 and he calls. Now 60 in the pot and he has about 30 left (I have him covered). Turn is an 8, check-check. River is a queen, check-check. I turn over my AK now thinking I have a chance at the pot, but he turns over JJ!!!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:26 PM

Default Stud Stumper

Some time ago, Dynasty posted this hand on the stud forum.

On 7th, Dynasty bet out showing a board of KKKK.

His opponent called. Quad kings were good.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:26 AM

$1000 buyin NLHE at WPO Tunica.
I'm in big blind T600 and post T50 (A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] ).
Two MP players call blinds (@T700). Checked around to me and I put in T100 and I'm called in both spots.
Pot: T475 I have T450 and plan to all-n with good flop and hope these two C.S. come in behind.
Flop: A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
Great flop for me, Top set and I push in and get called by both. Wow, how good can it get. Nut set called in Two places.
Final board: A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

MP1 Turns over: 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]
MP2 Turns over: 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

I had near lock & end up busted on only hand I play in the tourny. Wish I could find calling stations like this to play the rest of my life (need to get my money back).
Old 07-23-2003, 02:19 AM

Default Re: A man without (the) nuts

That's nothing. In a $25 buy-in game at Party, some guy flopped a boat with 3 others in the pot. He let it get checked around all the way through to the end and took down a $1.90 pot! Now THAT is a slowplay, lol.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Stud Stumper

His opponent missed a great bluff-raise opportunity.

-Mike