Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2003, 12:39 PM

Default Is this an easy fold?...O/8 hand

Hi everyone...
I had a hand recently that threw me for a loop...I play about 90% limit hold'em and a little omaha8 for fun. Can anyone in here let me know if this was an easy fold for O/8?

I just sat down, and don't have any reads on anyone yet. 4/8 omaha w/ 1/2 kill at Bay 101.
5 limpers to me on the button w/ J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . I raise, SB folds, everyone else calls.
7 to the flop w/ 14 small bets in the pot.

Flop comes Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . I flop the wrong end of the boat.
Action:
BB Check, L1 Check, L2 Bet, L3 Raise, L4 3 bet, L5 Call.
(Three raise Cap @ Bay 101)

What's your default play here?
I have to think that both kings are most likely out there, so even if I'm winning now, there's a decent chance that one of them will improve.
Is this a spot where you just suck it up and stick with it, or is it an easy (but reluctant) fold as you likely have one clean out.
Help appreciated....
BTW...I folded. One of the kings paired a 10 kicker on the turn and the case Q came on the end [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] (ouch!). I still think I made the proper play.
What does everyone else think?
[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Is this an easy fold?...O/8 hand

All call your raise pre-flop (7-way)good game.

Now your question/answer:
It's three bet to you (a)1st bettor could have a range AA,str8flush draw,KQ,KX,large PP (b) 1st raise KX,AA,Str8Flsh cards (b) KX,big cards

If you are in the lead, it's gonna cost you 5-7 small bets to find out what the turn feels like. Looks like you have one out to be confident enough to bet, but the action looks like the lonely Q is already there. Take a GAMBLER to call in this situation. Nice fold.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:08 PM

I don't think it is an easy fold. It sounds like a very live game. The only two hands that have you beat right now are KQ or KK. Given that both kings are probably out you are not likely to be up against KK.

The two kings proably have 18 outs in the next two cards, assumaing they have no pairs in their hands. I'm inclined to play the hand.

The big issue is you are new to the game. With a bit more of a read on the players putting in the raises, you'd know a lot more.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:27 PM

I lost my first post on this, grrrr. Here's a retype. Anyway, I am not big on the preflop raise. Zee stresses in his book that preflop raising is done mostly for position in this game. I have taken that to heart in trying to learn omaha and I think it has a lot of validity. I am trying to go from holdem to omaha too, and I have found a lot of holdem players play way too aggressive in omaha. I might get too passive sometimes tho, I must admit. You had the button, so all a raise was going to do is get more money in the pot. High only hands don't do so well multiway and you had a high hand where the flush draws weren't to the nuts. Overaggressive raise IMO. Most of the time a low draw will be out there, and when it is your hand's value goes way down. And when you have a flush draw, someone could have the nut draw with a low. I would want to limp on the button and see what happns w/ that hand in a multiway pot.

As to the fold on the flop, I think it was good. If you aren't beat yet, somebody with a king has three kickers to hit. The action in front just about mandates a fold.