Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-09-2003, 01:15 AM

Default Am I giving up too much?

I played these two hands at the $10-$20 at the Borgata this weekend. Not sure about these folds, so was wondering what people think. Just finished re-reading the Brier/Ciaffone book and I am wondering if the some of the ultra-tightness of the book has rubbed off on me. Game was ultra loose-passive and I really wasn't looking to push any marginal edges too far.

Hand 1:
I am on the button with KJs 6 people limp to me, I call, and the big blind raps the table.

Flop comes
T 7 Q rainbow no heart.

Checked to the guy right before me who bets, I call, and three other people call. The better will play any two cards, but rarely bets or raises without a very good hand.

The turn pairs the ten, and puts up a flush draw. An early player bets, folded to the guy before me who raises. I fold.

An offsuit 9 falls on the river, and my results will follow.

Hand 2:

I am in the big blind with Q2off and get a free look after 7 limpers.

The flop comes 3 4 5, with a flush draw. It's checked around.

River is a Queen. Two people check, theres a bet and two callers to me....I fold.

Again comments appreciated...

On hand 1 I just got a gut feeling that I was drawing dead. That coupled with the fact that I still had to make my hand caused the fold.

I thought about hand 2 for a while. From what I had seen about the player who bet, he likely had at least a pair of Queens. If this was the case, than my outs were much thinner than they appeared. The pot was big, but the flop did check around.

-Huh

Old 12-09-2003, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Am I giving up too much?

I think your fold in the first hand was fine, especially with your observation that he usually has a good hand when betting/raising. The board pairs and there is a flush draw...nothing wrong with throwing it away when faced with calling 2 cold. The math is 8 small bets preflop + 5 small bets on the flop. If the rake is $3-$5, that's about 1 small bet leaving 12 small bets (6 big bets) in the pot. On the turn, there's 3 big bets in the pot already giving you 9-2 at that point (the original bettor could fold, but could also re-raise). The chance of the re-raise, plus the fact that the 2 flush outs that make your hand may not be clean, plus the paired board make it an ok fold and it would be just fine in the 10-20 game I play in.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:29 PM

Default Just a tad bit confused about Hand #2

I like the fold on the 1st hand.

2nd was a little hard to follow. Could you please reread it and then clear things up. You go straight to the river then say 2 people check, but you were the BB...? Thanks.

~stephen

Ps. nice to see you this w/e too.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:10 PM

Default Correction

I need to stop posting hands while playing two tables online. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhow, on the second hand, that was the turn card. It was checked around to a player before me who bet, then there was a caller or two and then I folded to the single bet.

As it turned out I was drawing dead in both hands and felt really good about the folds, but wasn't sure if I was being results oriented.

-Huh