Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-19-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Rare Flop Slowplay with AA

[ QUOTE ]
In a smaller pot I think this would be fine. But when I have a one pair hand that I think is best on the pot has 13 small bets in it when the action gets to me, the pedal is staying to the floor until they convince me I'm behind. I understand your reasoning, but for calling to be better some things have to go right. Throw in the times that one of them spews the flop with a worse hand and the times that you find out more cheaply that you are behind and I think raising the flop is best. I admit that I haven't put any numbers to these factors and so maybe I am incorrectly weighting them (and some others such as how frequently SB will fold anyway, improve to the best hand later when he would have folded, etc.), but the pot "feels" big enough and our hand "feels" vulnerable enough that calling the flop seems a little too cute to me.

Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you played it, and by the looks of it, your slowplay paid off.

But I have to agree with Cartman here. Getting one or two extra bets is nice, but not at the cost of the pot. The two criteria you don't meet for slowplaying are 1. the pot is not small, and 2. your hand is not very very strong for a 3-way pot.

The funny thing though is that this is probably the best way to play the hand regardless, but not because you want to slowplay though. My first thoughts in a large pot like this would be to knock other players out. So if BB bets into me, I would call and if SB also calls, go for a turn raise to try and knock out SB for 2 cold. Or if SB raises, then just 3-bet for value. I think this is the correct mentality to keep in mind when playing this hand.