Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-14-2005, 10:41 PM

Default No plan the whole time...

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks

Villian is a little agro preflop. I think something like 45/23. If this was a hand against a TAG I think playing some sort of WA/WB would be correct. I'm not sure how to deviate from the normal line to take into account an agressive opponent. I also am not sure what I should do with so many people in the pot.

I figure when he bets the turn he must have an ace. I figure most players to check behind with a smaller pp in position on the turn. I can't imagine what the callers have.

So, I guess the questions are, is there any different line I can take up to the river? And is it worth it to either bet/call or bet/fold the river? (Or is my plan of check calling fine)

Krishan
Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: No plan the whole time...

Hey Krishan,

I think with the two callers trapped in the middle you should go ahead and 3 bet the flop and see how he reacts. A guy with those stats can definitely have worse aces than you here (any suited ones seem to be their favorite 3 betting hands!) and not sure about his postflop aggression but he would definitely play a queen fast until the river where he would check I would think.

The way you played it I think check/call on the river is just fine. It seems to me from recent history that every time this guy bets the river and someone calls and I overcall I am in third place - but that's what we have to do in big pots I guess.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-14-2005, 11:18 PM

i think you played this well
Old 12-14-2005, 11:33 PM

showdowns are good
Old 12-15-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is a little agro preflop. I think something like 45/23. If this was a hand against a TAG I think playing some sort of WA/WB would be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
This player is loose pre so this may not apply to him, but aren't the players with just a bit higher PFR percentage than the norm usually more "honest" with their pr-flop 3-bets? I mean, with a limper or a preflop raiser they may 3-bet frequently, but as the hand grows more multiway their 3-bet standards gets closer and closer to a normal TAGs 3-bet standards?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 AM

Flop: If I know the Button will auto-bet, even against 4 opponents, then I am checkraising. Otherwise, I bet. With 2 coldcallers after he raises I think it's an easy 3-bet. He's not going to play back at you in such a big pot with multiple opponents unless he has you crushed.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:56 AM

I check the flop and checkraise if there are callers. You can't use Button to protect your hand because he's only raising when he's ahead of you, so instead push the large edge you will have on any callers.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think with the two callers trapped in the middle you should go ahead and 3 bet the flop and see how he reacts. A guy with those stats can definitely have worse aces than you here (any suited ones seem to be their favorite 3 betting hands!) and not sure about his postflop aggression but he would definitely play a queen fast until the river where he would check I would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 3-betting this flop to figure out where I'm at is an excellent plan. AQ and AK are going to raise the next street (or cap) and I can get away. Weaker hands will just call down.

Krishan
Old 12-15-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check the flop and checkraise if there are callers. You can't use Button to protect your hand because he's only raising when he's ahead of you, so instead push the large edge you will have on any callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a flop check raise is much better than a lead. Can you fold the turn if you get 3-bet on the flop or raised on the turn? Seems like that would be pretty safe to me.

Krishan
Old 12-15-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you fold the turn if you get 3-bet on the flop or raised on the turn? Seems like that would be pretty safe to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the pot has gotten too big to consider folding this hand anywhere unless you're faced with two bets cold.