Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: 2 live 2/5 folds.... possibly very boring

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he can c/r without an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes this a pretty easy fold then, eh?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:40 PM

You must not've read my post title.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:42 PM

The only thing that worries me about it is that your bet looks pretty damn weak, and may induce a bluff.

But if you still don't think he can do it without an A, then it looks good.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that worries me about it is that your bet looks pretty damn weak, and may induce a bluff.

But if you still don't think he can do it without an A, then it looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how much you play live but, in games at this level (and smaller) at both Foxwoods and what I've seen in my 2 Vegas trips, underbets are quite common in fairly large pots. I chose the bet size such that I didn't think he could pull a checkraise without an ace. Admittedly, my judgment may have been off, but I felt this was a good amount. With AK, I would probably make a slightly smaller bet hoping to get bluffraised. In any case, he took the verbal bait and showed me his ace as he raked in the pot.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 PM

hand 1 - you have a couple options here. you chose the worst one. you can raise pf and play poker, limp in and call flop and evaluate on turn (you say he was betting every flop, what was he doing on the turn when people were looking him up?), or you can just limp in and fold flop.

hand 2 - unlucky flop, but you probably got played since you only bet $100
Old 12-14-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much you play live but, in games at this level (and smaller) at both Foxwoods and what I've seen in my 2 Vegas trips, underbets are quite common in fairly large pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken.

Last time I played at MGM, whenever I would make bets/raises that were nearly pot sized, a bunch of players kept asking "Why so much?"

Actually, I think I like the smallish bet with an A, the more that I think about it. Especially since usually the worst A you'll usually have here is AQ.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 - you have a couple options here. you chose the worst one. you can raise pf and play poker, limp in and call flop and evaluate on turn (you say he was betting every flop, what was he doing on the turn when people were looking him up?), or you can just limp in and fold flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
He hadn't been looked up much at all, which was part of why I was letting him have it verbally. I hate calling because then I have to worry about people behind me overcalling. If we were the only ones in the pot, I'd like it a lot better.

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2 - unlucky flop, but you probably got played since you only bet $100

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree, for reasons I've already stated elsewhere in the thread (responding to Big Jim, IIRC).
Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much you play live but, in games at this level (and smaller) at both Foxwoods and what I've seen in my 2 Vegas trips, underbets are quite common in fairly large pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken.

Last time I played at MGM, whenever I would make bets/raises that were nearly pot sized, a bunch of players kept asking "Why so much?"

Actually, I think I like the smallish bet with an A, the more that I think about it. Especially since usually the worst A you'll usually have here is AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, thats good table banter, because it normally means they suck.

you start seeing more overbets and pot bets in bigger games.. but there's always underbetters at the table.