Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: TAG

A TAG plays a relatively small number hands and agressively?

TAG doesn't necessarily define a particular style, it's more of a general classification.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow I'm a lag !

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You are tag.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wow I'm a lag !

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You are tag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I was just kidding.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
alright, let me give it a shot

in 6-max, i classify TAG as player who has a pretty tight range pre-flop (raising AA-99, AK-AT, KQ), but when he hits a hand / is the pre-flop aggressor, continues with that aggression post-flop, ex. c-betting

a TAG is someone who i dont expect holding 45s in a raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically a TAG is a totally predictable and straightforward player? Why would anybody not want to play against them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think of a TAG as a person who mainly plays solid cards aggressively, but who can also mix in a few sneaky mid suited connectors and such. Because they play the occasional 76s the same way they play QQ, they can expect to make a higher percentage of successful bluffs.

Also, I think of a TAG as a person who's not afraid to get their chips in the middle, as opposed to your garden variety weak/tight.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

in 6-max, i classify TAG as player who has a pretty tight range pre-flop (raising AA-99, AK-AT, KQ), but when he hits a hand / is the pre-flop aggressor, continues with that aggression post-flop, ex. c-betting

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically a TAG is a totally predictable and straightforward player? Why would anybody not want to play against them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, at the 10/20 game, you probably want to play against them all day long. My understanding is that by the time you reach that level you'd better have learned a good LAG style.

But for us down at the 0.10/0.25, there are infinitely richer targets. I don't like playing against villains who only enter pots with premium hands, bet the hell out of them, price me out of my draws every time, and release when they think they're beat and punish me when they hit.

I like the ones who make fundamental mistakes. They call too much, badly overplay top pair or slowplay their monsters. TAGs may be straightforward, but I don't think of them as making basic mistakes; they aren't fish.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont mind playing against them, id just much rather be playing at a table w/maniacs or a bunch of loose passive calling stations
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM

I'd certainly consider myself TAG. I play about 21/15 preflop, so I can certainly be reraising preflop with 54s, but I don't see how you could call me a loose player. I just raise or fold most of the time. Straightforward players are my favorite group to play against, since it's very easy to run them over by raising a lot.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it just occured to me that Bob Ciaffone could probably be classified as a TAG.

And I think he's pretty good, no?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:37 PM

I view the T as just being tigher preflop, L being looser. The ag is the same postflop, they hammer away both as PF agressor and to defend their blinds.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it just occured to me that Bob Ciaffone could probably be classified as a TAG.

And I think he's pretty good, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was going to say.

Anyone here who claims that TAGs are the best opponents to play against is delusional or is simply clueless about what the definitions actually mean. I suspect it's mostly the latter, since half the time I see the term "LAG" used it's simply describing aggressive play in general with no relation to the tightness or looseness involved.