Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Recognizing good 2nd best hands...

Hand 1 ------------------------------

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

MP was tighter preflop than most. I think a 40/10. Button is a TAG (suprisingly) I love that I'm getting subsidized by the TAG on the turn. Getting 2-1 on my money is sweet. That said, I think I played the whole hand correctly.

Hand 2 ----------------------------------------------

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Villian here 40/17 with no postflop read. What do we think?

Hand 3 ----------------------------------------------

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Villian here was loose passive preflop. Probably something like 50/5/.8. Of the three hands, this is the one I'm least sure of.

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Recognizing good 2nd best hands...

1: I think this is ok. KJ and QQ are 5 combos, AA and AK are 6. You're gonna face a cap if behind (but sometimes when ahead too) . I do think people usually will pump AK on that flop though. If you 3bet MP will often cap with hands that are both better and worse than yours so the overlay from tight button is not guarenteed.

2: I raise river and call a 3bet. I think your'e gonna see AJ/AQ/AK/99 a good amount here

3: I really don't like the turn checkraise attempt. 3bet the flop. Those opponents are exactly the type to check through with pair + draw or even a top pair now that it is headsup.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Hand 1, villain can have 4 combos of KJ, or 4 combos of KT. There is only 3 combos of AK, and 2 combos of AA. You will have to reasonably discount these, and I would call it 6 combos you beat, and 3 that beat you. You also have overlay from button. I think a check raise is close, but perhaps just calling is best.

Hand 2, villain has 3 combos of AA, 3 combos of 99, and 3 combos of AJ. AA is by far the most likely though, and will reraise if you raise the river, so nice river call.

Hand 3, it sure looks like you are beat by KJ (12 combos). But, I guess he could also sometimes have AT (6 combos), TT (3 combos), QT (6 combos). He is passive, so these arn't all that likely, but the pot is 13 BB by the river, so you only need to be good about 1 in 14. That means that if he plays AT, TT, or QT the way he did around 10% of the time, you are good as gold.

Nice hands,
Spicymoose
Old 12-12-2005, 03:19 PM

There are 3 combos of AA in #1
Old 12-12-2005, 03:20 PM

For hand 2, the only logical hand you can be behind is AA. I would still put in a river raise because it’s a little hard to put the villain exactly on AA don’t you think? He could play AK or maybe 99 and 77 the same way right? Having a read on how aggressive he is would probably help a lot.

Hand 3 is fine I think. I would expect to be ahead until that awful river, but you gotta call it.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3: I really don't like the turn checkraise attempt. 3bet the flop. Those opponents are exactly the type to check through with pair + draw or even a top pair now that it is headsup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I also think he'll tell me if he has 2 pair or if he has a straight on the flop if I 3-bet and it will cost me less when I'm behind.

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For hand 2, the only logical hand you can be behind is AA. I would still put in a river raise because it’s a little hard to put the villain exactly on AA don’t you think? He could play AK or maybe 99 and 77 the same way right? Having a read on how aggressive he is would probably help a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you cap 77 or 99 100% of the time against a TAG who 3-bet you from the BB? If not (and I hope the answer is not all the time) then you have to discount the chance that he has TT or 77 by that same %.

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1: I think this is ok. KJ and QQ are 5 combos, AA and AK are 6.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's not a very aggressive raiser preflop, but I think you need to take JTs at least partially into account as well. There's also two combos of the same hand, and you can maybe get some more out of button by raising in that situation.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 PM

hand 1 i would've 3-bet but lmn showed that it should be a call, so nice hand.

hand 2 i like

hand 3 i would 3-bet the flop, looks fine how you played it
Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 PM

i don't think a 40/10 is really raising JTs in second position. i could be wrong. but if you are going to consider it i think it should probably be discounted at least.