Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Another enjoyable overpair experience

Hand was a few days ago so details are sketchy. 2/4 at Bodog. MP player limps, I raise right behind him to $18 with KK, unknown right behind me calls, all others fold. Flop J66 rainbow. I bet $30 and he calls. Turn is a 6. Pot is now around $100 and he has $300 left. I know nothing about him, but if he were a complete idiot or maniac I probably would have taken notice of it by now. What's my plan here? Am I looking to get my stack involved on this board, or am I folding if it reaches that point?

This is full ring so I am playing tight and have not done anything crazy during the time he's been around (I'm not sure how long that's been).
Old 12-09-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Another enjoyable overpair experience

No reason to think your not ahead here. He's gotta think his 6's full of Jacks are good, so make him pay for it.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:06 PM

I'm usually ahead. But as with any poker hand, the bigger the pot becomes, the less likely it is that I'm ahead. This is the ultimate in drawless boards and there's still a lot of money left, so I need a plan to maximize EV.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 PM

I've never played on Bodog so I don't know what the average player on there is like. You get looked up a ton on boards like this by naked jacks or even smaller pocket pairs on Party (so long as no ace hits on the river). Sometimes you run into jacks full or quads but I think you get paid by those other hands often enough to make it worthwhile to get as much in as you can.

Was this full ring or shorthanded? Full ring, I tend to be a little more conservative because the play is generally tighter across the board.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 PM

I think I'd go broke in this spot if he had me beat. Statistically, he's far more likely to have a lone J than AA, JJ, or the case 6. I think it's even more likely given the cold call of the pre-flop raise. Would he do that with AA or any hand with a 6 in it? You're right that you're more likely to be beat as more money goes into the pot, but I still don't see how you could ever be sure enough that you're beat to justify folding.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:46 PM

It was full ring (nine-handed).

Typical players at Bodog play too many hands and are generally pretty weak. Most of them can read hands at least moderately well (or at least they understand that the more money their opponent puts in, the better their hand is), but they still make fundamental errors (calling raises with dominated hands, betting with hands that should be checked, and failing to protect hands with adequate bets).
Old 12-10-2005, 12:33 AM

No way, no how am i getting off this hand....If he checks to you on the turn bet $75 and get the rest in on the river (or make some kind of value bet)....If he bets the turn possibly just call and get them in on the river (ie...try not to blow him off a J)
Old 12-10-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually ahead. But as with any poker hand, the bigger the pot becomes, the less likely it is that I'm ahead. This is the ultimate in drawless boards and there's still a lot of money left, so I need a plan to maximize EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in general, the bigger the pot becomes, the more likely I feel I am ahead [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 AM

Not if your range of hands remains constant. =P

aggie - I am out of position. That's why this hand is so enjoyable.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:38 AM

I'd probably bet the turn and then go for a river check-raise as long as a Q->A doesn't hit.