Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: 2/4 flop overbet decision

I'm going to ignore the short stack push as far as decisions are concerned. The only question is how do I want to play this hand in a dry sidepot, HU, OOP?

I don't fear an overpair from Button. Since the shortstack is all-in with his first hand in a short buy situation I'm going to flat call and see if the button wants to play poker. I think button folds without a T or 77.

This kind of shortstack play is common enough and I always feel if he wins this it will be a short-lived victory. In the long run the $$ will end up back where it belongs.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to ignore the short stack push as far as decisions are concerned. The only question is how do I want to play this hand in a dry sidepot, HU, OOP?

I don't fear an overpair from Button. Since the shortstack is all-in with his first hand in a short buy situation I'm going to flat call and see if the button wants to play poker. I think button folds without a T or 77.

This kind of shortstack play is common enough and I always feel if he wins this it will be a short-lived victory. In the long run the $$ will end up back where it belongs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you've misread-- BB has a full buyin ($400) to start the hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 PM

I totally agree, AA is close, QQ not so much.

Though I don't think you will see villain do this with 99-66 as often as you will see AA-JJ simply because idiots will find more reason to overplay big pocket pairs on one street than they will find reason to overplay middle pairs.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you've misread-- BB has a full buyin ($400) to start the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I gibbering incoherently? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 PM

No, your gibberish is quite coherent.

j/k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 PM

I think you are right, the decision is close. BB could easily have a small pp here, or JJ, or he could just be an idiot. I might call if it was HU. But given that you may be beat already (easily could be a T, higher overpair) , and that we don't really know what Button will do, I would fold.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tx or 77. Why would he ever bluff here with 3 people behind him? He's hoping you have AA/KK and can't lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like it makes no sense to bluff here, it also makes no sense to go apeshit with trips, or a boat.

I probably fold this. A very similar hand happened to me a little while ago. I raise 2 cards from the CO, button calls, bb calls. Flop is QQ7, bb insta pushes for like 700 in to a pot of 50, i fold my 2 cards (and i thought to myself, id fold AA). button insta calls. They chop it up with QK.

Although it makes no sense to play it this way, and I will not always put them on trips, I think in a spot like this he has trips more often than he doesn't have it.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 PM

The arguments about making sense are a bit silly. The only thing that would make me want to call is that he may just be establishing an image.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM

I think I'll start over.

This play comes up quite often and I try to always follow Natedoggs (TAFKAn) Rule of Thumb which says fold. Basically this rule says "Assume everyone's a pussy". That means they will only bet the nuts until you see them do otherwise. Link to the Archives follows.

Natedogg's (TAFKAn) Rule of Thumb
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Results

Villain showed A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (no spades on the board).