Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Have you ever been asked....

All the time....I usually say "this is my first time playing poker, what's that white button for?"
Old 12-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Why would live players have a distaste for online players?

Simple. Online players come into live cardrooms, break all the rules of ettiquette and decent behavior, then stiff everyone in site and expect the rest of the world to think they're really cool because they've got a party poker ball cap on.

So when asked if I play online, I say...

"I live in vegas, why the hell would I want to play online?"

al
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I wonder if online uses a shoe? Couldn't you rig up a card counting softwares?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most softwares use either unlimited deck numbers or they do not inform you when a "reshuffle" occurs.

Basically you just use an unlimited deck strategy. You could never make a counter because you never know when it restarts.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:29 PM

I once check-raised semibluffed a guy on the flop, then bet again on the turn, and bet again when I made my hand on the river. He called all the way with a very marginal holding. After the hand was over, he started berating my play, saying I played like "one of those crazy online players".

The funny part of the story is, it happened online.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:08 PM

Every time I play live (which isn't often) invariably I get asked this. As we all know, on-line is much more aggressive. I try and take that aggression into the live games. So the question is pretty standard, once they've seem me play a bit.

Just remember in answering the question you're providing information, or not, as you choose depending on your answer. By the time I get asked the table has usually tightened up to my raising, so I usually answer yes and a couple of the players loosen up and go back to normal - calling everything with any two suited. When I'm hitting it makes for a good game. When I'm not it makes for a very long night.

Some guys you can feel have a negative impression but generally I don't get a lot of negative feedback for playing online - it's the aggression and raising that they don't like.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 PM

Give you an example ... Got into it with 3 others on the river; 2 were playing the wheel and one was playing a set vs my 8 hight straight. It went bet, raise, re-raise (me), long pause call, long pause call, long pause call and I took down a huge pot with the nut straight. The guy beside me says "Nice hand. Do you play on-line?" I reply "Yes, why do you ask?" He answers that even with my hand he wouldn't think about re-raising the river. I was stunned - he wouldn't raise the nuts? Maybe I'm missing something here and he was talking about going for over calls - but I don't think so. I took it as - even with the nuts a three bet is way too aggressive for his liking.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Give you an example ... Got into it with 3 others on the river; 2 were playing the wheel and one was playing a set vs my 8 hight straight. It went bet, raise, re-raise (me), long pause call, long pause call, long pause call and I took down a huge pot with the nut straight. The guy beside me says "Nice hand. Do you play on-line?" I reply "Yes, why do you ask?" He answers that even with my hand he wouldn't think about re-raising the river. I was stunned - he wouldn't raise the nuts? Maybe I'm missing something here and he was talking about going for over calls - but I don't think so. I took it as - even with the nuts a three bet is way too aggressive for his liking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is smart...

I always value-call with the nuts.

-Gryph
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's probably concerned that the dealer might accidently muck his hand, thus he saved a few bets . . .
Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
online poker is gay

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Can online poker players get legally married?
2. Dont ask, dont tell.
3. I am gonna come outta the closed and tell everyone I know I play at Party Poker.

I say that I play "some" and then inform them that you can use the internet to log onto the world wide web. Then I remind them that Al Gore invented it.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I say that I play "some" and then inform them that you can use the internet to log onto the world wide web. Then I remind them that Al Gore invented it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they realize you couldn't possibly be a 2+2er, because you're old enough to know who Al Gore is.