Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Split the NL forums again?

Small, Mid, and High would be fine.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Right now a lot of us that play at the mid stakes don't really feel like we fit in too well in either forum. The journey from .10/.25 to 10/20 is more than just "aha! I suddenly know how to play high stakes poker!" The low limits are riddled with completely clueless players that make so many fundamental mistakes that any ABC player can easily defeat them. The high stakes games feature a lot of players that are thinking on the 43rd level that know all the odds and know basic hand reading. But there is a lot of middle ground where most players are paying attention and thinking past the first level. They know enough to beat a simple ABC player, but they can still be fooled and may not mix up their own play enough. Most of the things I'm thinking about during a 2/4 hand are irrelevent to a .25/.50 player. Right now it takes quite a bit of time to search through the forums to sort out the mid-stakes hands from the low-stakes hands (since the stakes often aren't mentioned in the thread title.)

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-26-2005, 08:20 AM

it doesn't matter how the forums are/will be split.

there will still be people giving awful analysis and advice with either no reasoning, or misapplied logic.

most of the hands will either be blatantly obvious what the proper action is, or will ask about a situation later in the hand that should have never arisen had something dumb not taken place at an earlier point in the hand.

i couldn't care less when some chud quotes for the fifth time to make an obvious call or fold.

the only time i put stock into consise answers is if the poster is someone i personally respect, and if i have come to a different conclusion or am unsure of all of their logic i will ask them to expound.

i swear reading some posts in this forum is worse than listening to my little cousin stutter through a bad beat story he took in a play money sit and go. thankfully my brain has grown used to just glazing over inane crap.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:20 AM

And another thing.. lol

Why are so many 5/10 and 10/20 players sucking kane's a$$ right now and what does that tell us that might be relevant in this thread? haha
Old 11-26-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Right now a lot of us that play at the mid stakes don't really feel like we fit in too well in either forum. The journey from .10/.25 to 10/20 is more than just "aha! I suddenly know how to play high stakes poker!" The low limits are riddled with completely clueless players that make so many fundamental mistakes that any ABC player can easily defeat them. The high stakes games feature a lot of players that are thinking on the 43rd level that know all the odds and know basic hand reading. But there is a lot of middle ground where most players are paying attention and thinking past the first level. They know enough to beat a simple ABC player, but they can still be fooled and may not mix up their own play enough. Most of the things I'm thinking about during a 2/4 hand are irrelevent to a .25/.50 player. Right now it takes quite a bit of time to search through the forums to sort out the mid-stakes hands from the low-stakes hands (since the stakes often aren't mentioned in the thread title.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I don't post hands or even read these boards much anymore because I play a lot of .5/1 and 1/2 NL heads up or three handed - I don't want the SS advice because I think I'm probably past that level, and clearly I'm not ready for the Mid/High Stakes yet. And as you say, there is that middle range of players to beat - not too good, not too bad, who will call down with hands that marginally beat yours, who are willing to min-check-raise with draws when very shorthanded, etc.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the structure is fine for the high players, but for those of us moving from 1-2 to 2-4, etc don't find too much help in the SS forum. A mid forum would be sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. There are only about 5 regular small stakes posters that are qualified to give advice on 1/2-3/6 hands.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this wold be pretty good:

Small NL: .5/1 and lower (and 1/2 live games?)
Mid NL: 1/2 - 3/6
High NL: 5/10 and above

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-26-2005, 01:49 PM

Why not have 6 NL forums

Small 6 max and full
Mid ""
High""
Old 11-26-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this wold be pretty good:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like i said, i think the forums are fine the way they are. but the above looks like the best way to split things if we are going to.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this idea because right now I'm at .5/1 and all the best advice comes from the 1/2 or higher players so transitioning would be harder [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Closed Thread