Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Experiences with Fasting

People fast for a lot of reasons, before there was a thread on here about fasting for reasons of health and John Cole made some interesting and controversial posts about the benefits of fasting along those lines, "cleansing" the body. Fasting is also encouraged by relgions though for a variety of reasons, clearing the mind, repetence and celebration, a way of enjoying eating, sense of history, to produce a trancelike state, are just some reasons listed by book "Hunger" the religions Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Morons, Christians, Muslims and Taoists and fast on some days.

I have only fasted involuntarily when hiking and did not pack enough food. All I was thinking about then was food, imaginging every kind of my favorite food and how great it would taste if I was eating it right then. It didn't feel like my mind was really clear. The meals after not eating for a while tasted much better and for that reason I like to go a little longer then I naturally would sometimes, before eating.

Since all religions have fasts, there are probably a lot of people who have done it. Could some of you share your experiences with fasting please.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Experiences with Fasting

Here is a story, a Taoist story which are always good.

When I am going to makea bell stand, I never let it wear out my energy. I always fast in order to still my mind. When I have fasted for three days, I no longer have any thought of congradulations or rewards, of titles or stipends. When I have fasted for five days, I no longer have any thought of praise or blame, of skill or clumsiness. And when I have fasted for seven days I am so still that I forget I have four limbs and a form and body. By that time, the ruler and his court no longer exist for me. My skill is concentrated and all outside distractions fade away. After that I go into the mountain forest and examine the Heavenly nature of trees. If I find one of superatlive form, and I can see a bell stand there, I put my hand to the job of carving; if not, I let it go. This way I am simply matching up Heaven with Heaven.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People fast for a lot of reasons, before there was a thread on here about fasting for reasons of health and John Cole made some interesting and controversial posts about the benefits of fasting along those lines, "cleansing" the body. Fasting is also encouraged by relgions though for a variety of reasons, clearing the mind, repetence and celebration, a way of enjoying eating, sense of history, to produce a trancelike state, are just some reasons listed by book "Hunger" the religions Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Morons, Christians, Muslims and Taoists and fast on some days.

I have only fasted involuntarily when hiking and did not pack enough food. All I was thinking about then was food, imaginging every kind of my favorite food and how great it would taste if I was eating it right then. It didn't feel like my mind was really clear. The meals after not eating for a while tasted much better and for that reason I like to go a little longer then I naturally would sometimes, before eating.

Since all religions have fasts, there are probably a lot of people who have done it. Could some of you share your experiences with fasting please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it once a year over a 3 day period. The first day is fruits, vegetables,soup, and water. On day 2 it is just fruits and water. And on day 3 (sometimes an extra half day explained below) I only have water.

The reason I sometimes take an extra half day is because I usually by a body cleansing product. Sometimes it takes a while before all the poop is out.

By the 3rd day it is such a rush. I don't know how to explain it, because it is a high, but unlike any other high. So, the main reason I do it is because I want to cleanse my body.

I was raised Jewish (not practicing anymore) and would fast for Yom Kippur, but I was like 8, and hated it. I just felt like I had to. So, I don't do it for religious reasons now, but for "spiritual" (yeah, I know that sounds corny). Basically you are putting yourself through a bit of pain. It also humbles you, because so many people don't have any food. Also, I think it teaches you a Buddhist concept I read by the Dalai Lama about how pleasure is just the ending of pain or longing. So, for example, if you are hungry, it isn't that the food itself is making you feel good, but that you are getting rid of pain. Same can be said for the alcoholic, having sex, etc...

Anyways, talk to a Dr. first. Sometimes I can't go the whole time without eating because I have some anxiety problems and low sugar doesn't help, so I will have a few fruits for sugar. But, on an empty stomach fruit goes through you very quickly. And the sugars almost hit as quickly as nicotine or cocaine (maybe that is why it is so easy for me to fast, I am on coke the whole time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). I hope this helps a bit.

craig

p.s. There have been some studies that people that fast 3 times a year are healthier; as long as they are cleansing their bodies as well. You can get the cleanser at Whole Foods. I would recommend them because it is Vegan and all natural (and not just because I am vegan). If the cleanser has dairy in it, it will slow the process down.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:41 PM

tl;dr but...

[ QUOTE ]
...by book "Hunger" the religions Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Morons , Christians,...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes....
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tl;dr but...

[/ QUOTE ]

... and you read Atlas Shrugged?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:47 PM

the most i have fasted for was 2 days. no food. just water to try and cleanse my body after college a bit.

other than that, i fast 1 time / year on yom kippur (the jewish holiday for the repentance after the new year). after years of doing it the fast isn't that hard.

basically, you go through phases of hunger and a different feeling than hunger but its a result of the hunger and it gets wierder and worse the longer you fast.

during my two day fast (which i was allowed to drink water whereas on yom kippur NOTHING goes in your mouth) by the end of the 2nd day i was going to the bathroom pretty frequently...like a kid w/ no bladder control b/c the water was going through me so quick. felt kinda good though.

also, if you're going to do that, DO NOT JUST EAT A TON OF FOOD TO END THE FAST! while that is the tradition for breaking the fast for yom kippur, its not a good idea to gorge yourself after fasting.

for the 2 day fast, i ate (too many) veggies (probably like over a lb) and fruits as well. IDEALLy, you should end the fast in the middle of a day and eat progressively more fresh food throughout the day. and dont eat before bed.

anyways, i think if one would fast for 2 days 4 times a year, they would be more "cleansed" but i have no medical evidence to back up this claim. just how i felt after the fast.

Barron
Old 11-25-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tl;dr but...

[/ QUOTE ]

... and you read Atlas Shrugged?

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know? Have you been following me around?!?!?!

Kidding ofcourse. I gave up after the "Moron's" line. Had to post my reply and never got back to the thread. I PROMISE to read it later. <font color="white"> Maybe. </font>
Old 11-25-2005, 05:05 PM

As a semi-sorta-kind of observant Jew there are a few fasts throughout the year I observe, two of which are 24 hour fasts. The one during the summer isn't as bad because you can drive and watch TV etc. which helps pass the time. Yom Kippur is really tough since you pretty much have to be in synagouge all day.
Basically whatever the reason you're fasting, try to keep yourself occupied and it won't be too horrible.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:10 PM

A few years ago I fasted on Good Friday, even though I am not religious, I wanted to do it to see if I could. I felt really good the next day and lost weight afterwards because I couln't eat as much as normal the next few days.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:11 PM

Fasting cleanses the body by allowing toxings from various tissue cells to be released into the intestine where it combines with other solid waste and is excreted out as feces.

Fasting for too long a period of time can cause too many toxins to be released, and actually cause poisoning.

Normally, I prefer to conclude my evening meal at least 5-6 hours before sleeping. Hence, my body undergoes a period of fasting that lasts from sometime after dinner until the next morning. This is long enough to cleanse the body without getting sick. Also, my mind doesnt become obsessed with hunger, as I am not doing this in the day time.

Waiting a long time to eat makes it more enjoyable, yet can often lead to binging and feasting which adds undesirable calories to your daily intake. Yet, occasionally, this can be good for the spirit. This is why, on holidays and special celebrations, many people have large meals.

Eating a high fiber diet will help buffer toxins released into the intestine, and help keep the intestine free of toxins. Yogurt and other foods containing friendly bacteria will also help keep the intestine healthy.

The typical American diet is not high enough in vegetable fiber, and most Americans would do well to consider eating more vegetables and fruits. Some ethnic diets are much higher in vegetable fiber and lower in saturated fats and refined sugars. Specifically, Chinese and Indian utilize many vegetables in their dishes, and are extremely low in refined sugar. Although some dishes can be high in fat, if you are selective, you can avoid the ones that are.

Also, eating mushrooms and shellfish along with any meal can help reduce the amount of saturated fat absorbed by the gut. There is a specific compound present in these foods (called chetin) which chemically binds to the fat present in other foods and renders it less digestable, passing it through the intestine. This is probably why we often serve steak with mushrooms, and the chinese often eat shrimp with the head, feat, and shells.

live long and prosper
-J