Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-26-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Stopping when you know you are on tilt

Barry Greenstien's book talks about this several times. He has some good advice he uses.

One was when he recognizes he's playing bad, he gets up and goes to the bathroom and washes his face. He looks in the mirror and talks to himself...he says "If you don't start playing better, you have to quit." And if he doesn't play better, he actually does quit.

Another one was when he's on tilt and he needs to quit, he tells himself "This is what differs you from them. When you're stuck, you can quit. When they're stuck, they won't be able to quit, and that's when you'll get your revenge."

Those quotes are paraphrased a bit, but you get the idea. It works for him, maybe it can help you.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:21 PM

Seriously though.....

The absolute best way to combat tilt is to not let it happen at all. If that's not possible, then the 2nd best way is to recognize it and....get up, splash some cold water on your face, get something to eat, walk around, and come back later.

The thing about tilt is that it's a side effect to many issues, not just losing streaks or bad beats. For the most part, it occurs when the money means something. We're all guilty of it to a certain degree.

Imagine this....

You're playing 10/20 with a $500,000 bankroll. You make a steady 15k-20k a month from the game. Tilt is virtually non-existant. Nothing can puncture you. You're just going through the motions at this point and playing hands. Poker isn't fun anymore, it's a job now. THAT's what tiltless poker is like.

Unfortunately, the above example isn't realistic because anyone who has a $500,000 poker roll won't be satisfied with making 15k-20k a month playing 10/20. But still, there is always an optimal limit and earn for an infinite bankroll online. For party games, it looks to be 30/60 full.

Quitting is an escape that bypasses the tilt problem, but doesn't alleviate us from the psychological root of the issue; tilt is the result of a "gambling mentality" (the need to get even, the emotional effect of losing money, etc.) and the only real way to fight it is to not let it happen at all. Get to the point where poker is 100% robotic and no win/loss can emotionally affect you in the least. Use your 10/20 bankroll to 10-table $0.50/$1.00 full ring for a bit and you'll know what it's like to experience tilt-proof poker.

Of course, we still want a certain amount of calculated risk in order to maximize our potential earn. The key is finding a way to be able to keep that tiltless mentality at all times. You can quit all you want to avoid the issue, but there will come a day where you'll have to confront the actual problem face to face.

And from that point on poker will be much more peaceful, relaxing and profitable.

Good Luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM

You make some great points that I am going to remember. This one in particular. [ QUOTE ]
Quitting is an escape that bypasses the tilt problem, but doesn't alleviate us from the psychological root of the issue; tilt is the result of a "gambling mentality" (the need to get even, the emotional effect of losing money, etc.) and the only real way to fight it is to not let it happen at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to wonder about what I think your post is saying. Are you saying that to play tiltless poker you must not enjoy it, make it a job, and remove the emotion from it? You then say that once you accomplish this you will be much more peaceful, relaxed, and playing more profitably. How can this be? As much as I hate the sorrow of poker and how cruel the cards can be I do enjoy an occasionial full house.

If we make poker bland then why play at all?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Emotion and tilt need each other to successfully co-exist. The reason we don't notice tilt when playing very small stakes is simple:

The stakes of the game and the money at risk isn't significant enough to have a psychological impact on our emotions. Therefore, losing won't bother us as much and winning won't make us feel as good. Hence, the tilt factory is so miniscule that we won't be able to notice it having an effect on our earn.

[ QUOTE ]
If we make poker bland then why play at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
That all depends on the reason you play poker. If you play strictly to earn a living, then yes, it should be bland. If you play strictly for enjoyment, then it should be fun and exciting (tilting included).

If it's a combination of both (for most of us it is), then there needs to be a comfortable happy medium for each of us. That comfort level will vary from person to person.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:46 AM

excellent posts, thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't matter if they found thier wife in bed with thier girlfriend that afternoon,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since when is THAT a problem??

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought EXACTLY the same thing!
Old 11-27-2005, 02:54 PM

The more I read about and understand odds and variance, the less I'm likely to tilt. The two plus two forums have helped me immensely in this regard.

I think the best thing you can do to avoid tilt is to mentally prepare yourself BEFORE sitting down to play. Every serious player should have a checklist handy. How's my attitude? Am I tired? Impatient? Grouchy?

I think it pays off to have a brief mental conversation with yourself. I tend to reenforce in my own mind how important it is to play with both discipline and fearlessness. Having a mantra can also help. Usually I tell myself that I will play to the best of my ability regardless of results, that I will focus on every hand and, win or lose, learn something from the session.

Once you do find yourself on tilt, I think the best thing you can do is take a 15 minute break. Sometimes taking a brief walk can help. This time can be used to make an honest assessment of whether or not you are capable of returning to the game and playing your A game.

Of course, I only play as a hobby and at small buy-ins. I'm sure it's a lot harder to stay on track when the mortage payment is on the line.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it pays off to have a brief mental conversation with yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking to yourself is not neccesarily a good thing. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

In the context of reviewing your personal goals and strategies, it seems as though it could be useful to mentally restate such items as often as needed for them to be ingrained. I'm sure you meant something along those lines. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 10:50 PM

Do not ever play unless you are playing your A game. Simply refuse to do it. Consider it a matter of principle. If you find yourself slipping into your B game, sit out. If you cannot calm yourself down and bring back your A game serenity, quit playing. When you are playing you only ever play your A game. Always. No matter what. No matter how good the game is. No matter what justification or reasons you have. Then you will find that you will stay in your A game for longer and longer and longer. You will become more resilient to being knocked off of your A game. You will feel strong and solid. It will become a manner of honor with you, to be a person who always plays their A game.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think it pays off to have a brief mental conversation with yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking to yourself is not neccesarily a good thing. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

In the context of reviewing your personal goals and strategies, it seems as though it could be useful to mentally restate such items as often as needed for them to be ingrained. I'm sure you meant something along those lines. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The voices in my head disagree with you.

Also, they say that you must die.