Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: KK General Flop Question

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you fear strength by his flop call, would it be smart to check behind on the turn? Then you can call a smaller river bet with a hand that has some showdown value.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whether to check or bet after he checks again on the turn depends on the type of opponent, the board, his hand range, etc. Some opponents will quickly fold when you fire a 2nd barrel. Calling stations will call you down with middle pair.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:21 PM

are you serious?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice analysis, but why do you automatically eliminate AA & KK? Lots of times if I raise and get reraised I will just call with these hands. I might call AA in order to "trap". And I might call w/KK because I don't want to get all in against an obvious AA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing in poker is definite (I didn't mean to come across that way). To read your opponent, you start with a wide range of hands and you eliminate some along the way (based on his actions). It's unlikely for him to hold KK since you're holding KK. AA doesn't make sense either. Why would he limp with AA, then just call your preflop raise (knowing he'll be out of position for the rest of the hand)? When I see solid players limp with AA, they usually re-raise big when it gets back to them. But nothing is absolute. He could just call your raise to trap you if it looks like he'll be heads up with you going to the flop.

AA comes along so infrequently that people usually don't mess around when they get it. It has such a big advantage preflop that you want to raise/re-raise and get it all-in before the flop. I think it's always correct to get all-in with AA preflop against one other player. You're at least a 4:1 favorite. Get your money in the middle when you're ahead. In this case, you're ahead big. Lots of people also play KK this strong.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Very nice analysis, but why do you automatically eliminate AA & KK? Lots of times if I raise and get reraised I will just call with these hands. I might call AA in order to "trap". And I might call w/KK because I don't want to get all in against an obvious AA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing in poker is definite (I didn't mean to come across that way). To read your opponent, you start with a wide range of hands and you eliminate some along the way (based on his actions). It's unlikely for him to hold KK since you're holding KK. AA doesn't make sense either. Why would he limp with AA, then just call your preflop raise (knowing he'll be out of position for the rest of the hand)? When I see solid players limp with AA, they usually re-raise big when it gets back to them. But nothing is absolute. He could just call your raise to trap you if it looks like he'll be heads up with you going to the flop.

AA comes along so infrequently that people usually don't mess around when they get it. It has such a big advantage preflop that you want to raise/re-raise and get it all-in before the flop. I think it's always correct to get all-in with AA preflop against one other player. You're at least a 4:1 favorite. Get your money in the middle when you're ahead. In this case, you're ahead big. Lots of people also play KK this strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread my first post. He raised in early position, thats what makes this hand more interesting.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you are playing w/approximately 100BB and so is your opponent, who is relatively strong/slightly tricky. He open raises in early position preflop, you reraise 3x his bet w/KK and he calls. You have position, and the flop comes Q 4 3.

How do you normally proceed here if opponent checks to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What plays has he made for you to call him "slightly tricky"?