Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:39 AM

Default KK General Flop Question

Lets say you are playing w/approximately 100BB and so is your opponent, who is relatively strong/slightly tricky. He open raises in early position preflop, you reraise 3x his bet w/KK and he calls. You have position, and the flop comes Q 4 3.

How do you normally proceed here if opponent checks to you?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: KK General Flop Question

well theres two ways, if he has nothing your not getting any chips out of him any ways but if he has a Q, if you 2/3 pot it you may get a call. If you check behind [board is pretty dry] it will allow Q/lower pocket pairs to make a mistake thinking there ahead and put out a small bet, but i think this may be the most you get out of him if you call/raise unless he has your hand beat.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 AM

I think I would bet out around 2/3 pot like I normally do, but I would be very cautious of villain's actions. Namely, I am somewhat concerned about AA, QQ as they are very likely holdings to raise and then call a reraise preflop. Not that there aren't plenty of others, but I am cautious on flops in this spot.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:46 AM

I think you have to bet the flop to not allow AK a free turn in this scenario.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 AM

When someone raises preflop in EP, I start off by putting him on TT-AA, AK, and AQ. I modify this range depending on how well I know the player. When he just called your preflop raise, I'd take KK & AA out of his range. For the rest of the hand, I want to control the pot. I'd make a 2/3 pot bet on the flop. If he checks again on the turn, I'd bet 1/2 pot. If he then check-raises, you may be way behind. Look for the possible hands he might hold to raise the turn. Would he raise with AQ, AK, JJ, or TT (you're way ahead)? Would he do it with a slowplayed AA, QQ, or some other set (you're way behind)? Against a solid player, I'm folding the turn. By controlling the pot size, you can still get away from the hand on the turn. Against a bad player who overplays top pair, I'll probably continue with the hand. But the turn is where you have to decide if your hand is good or not.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:38 AM

Totally depends on the opponent, limits, which site, etc.

Edit: but yeah I bet flop 90% of the time atleast like I always do
Old 11-23-2005, 09:43 AM

Bets something like 2/3 pot. If he calls I usually check behind on a blank turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When someone raises preflop in EP, I start off by putting him on TT-AA, AK, and AQ. I modify this range depending on how well I know the player. When he just called your preflop raise, I'd take KK & AA out of his range. For the rest of the hand, I want to control the pot. I'd make a 2/3 pot bet on the flop. If he checks again on the turn, I'd bet 1/2 pot. If he then check-raises, you may be way behind. Look for the possible hands he might hold to raise the turn. Would he raise with AQ, AK, JJ, or TT (you're way ahead)? Would he do it with a slowplayed AA, QQ, or some other set (you're way behind)? Against a solid player, I'm folding the turn. By controlling the pot size, you can still get away from the hand on the turn. Against a bad player who overplays top pair, I'll probably continue with the hand. But the turn is where you have to decide if your hand is good or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice analysis, but why do you automatically eliminate AA & KK? Lots of times if I raise and get reraised I will just call with these hands. I might call AA in order to "trap". And I might call w/KK because I don't want to get all in against an obvious AA.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM

Also, if you fear strength by his flop call, would it be smart to check behind on the turn? Then you can call a smaller river bet with a hand that has some showdown value.