Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Semi-Bluff Called, Now What?

200 full ring, folded to button ($190)who open limps. Villian($220) in sb raises to $8, I (cover) call in bb with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Not many reads on the players thus far. I havent noticed anything particularly good or bad about villain, button's open limp says he's not so good.

Flop ($21) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain leads for 16(seems standard), I call with open-ender, button folds.

Turn ($50) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain leads out for $20 into me. I think he's weak or scared of my hand, so I punch it up to $60. Villain calls that bet.

River ($170) brings the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain has about $140 left. He checks. Hero?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Semi-Bluff Called, Now What?

You need to execute the semibluff on the flop. Part of the benefit of the semibluff is the probability of seeing a free river card.

On the flop, raise it up to $35-40, and fold to a push.
If he bets into you on the turn, fold unless for some reason he gives you good odds.
If you don't complete on the river, you're done.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:53 PM

I don't disagree with your line at all. However, being as I waited for the turn, what now?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree with your line at all. However, being as I waited for the turn, what now?

[/ QUOTE ]
As played, I check/fold. Right now you're beating absolutely nothing, and villain obviously likes his hand if he bet and called a raise. Don't even fathom a bluff, as it will lose you more money than it gives you in these spots, imo. You can probably expect an overpair.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:27 PM

If you were villain are you really calling an allin here with just an overpair? There are straight, flush, full house and quad possibilities out there. Hero has shown a lot of strenght. I think I would fold an overpair to a push if I was villain.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:58 PM

I imagine he can't call a push, but he'd have to fold more than 1/2 the times here for it to be profitable. Since you don't have a read I can't see that being positive EV. 1/2 pot bet he probably still can't call and he only has to fold 1 time in 4 now so thats a bit better. I don't like the way this was played, especially since there is no read so check is probably safest.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:13 PM

Trying to make your standard ssnl opponent fold an overpair is flushing money down the toilet. Unless you have a specific read that your opponent is capable of laying down I would just give it up.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:26 PM

if your going to semi bluff, raise the flop, while you still have equity in the pot.. raising when your hand just went down hill sucks..

MOST cards hurt (no improvement) you on the turn.. like the 3.. if your raise the flop maybe you get pushed out.. maybe you get free turn/riv..

but if your going to bluff, you have to give the villian a story he can figure out and understand.. the way you play it, he will call you with alot of hands..
Old 11-19-2005, 04:45 PM

Those are all really good points you guys bring up, thank you for the feedback. I would expect a lot of good players to lay down an overpair, but without that read I am probably "flushing $ down the toilet" by bluffing here.

I did in fact push and he let the time run to the last second and called w/red 9's. I told him the only hand he could beat was a bluff and that it was a bad call and he got all pissed and was talking a bunch. The whole table labeled me a bluffer and I doubled up based upon that image soon after to get back what I lost and then some.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I did in fact push and he let the time run to the last second and called w/red 9's. I told him the only hand he could beat was a bluff and that it was a bad call and he got all pissed and was talking a bunch.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf