Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 02:40 AM

Default raise...?

Five handed. I limp with 55, megafish checks after rebuying and dead posting, seemingly decent player on the button limps, loose/bad player limps in SB, someone who sat down 10 seconds ago raises to $24 in the BB. Notes from a previous session against BB simply read "very loose." I call, megafish folds, button calls, SB calls.

Flop Tc 8c 3s - $102 four players

Check check check check

Turn 3c

SB checks, BB bets $100

Me and button have ~$600, SB and BB have ~$400.

I hold the 5c.

SB has made some ridiculous calls, but he's not overly passive and I'm pretty sure he'd bet the turn if he had something. Button doesn't seem stupid so I'm pretty sure he would have bet the flop if he thought his hand was good.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: raise...?

I'm probably a bit too aggro for SH play, but with the OT post and the decent player on the button, I'll generally raise the small PP pre-flop, hope to buy the button. As played, I think that this is a decent spot for a min-raise. Knock out the players behind you and try for a free showdown on the river.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:25 AM

min-raise turn for free show down seems like a good idea.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:30 AM

Raising preflop at this table with this hand would have been a disaster. I'm not in the mood to try to figure out of the megastation is calling me with ace high (again) or if he actually has pocket sevens to call me down with (again). And if I show weakness he'd bet at me with anything. If someone raises my limp then so be it; it's not like I would have any folding equity on the flop either way so I might as well at least try to get in cheap.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Raising preflop at this table with this hand would have been a disaster. I'm not in the mood to try to figure out of the megastation is calling me with ace high (again) or if he actually has pocket sevens to call me down with (again).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you think that the station is calling any raise on the turn with any two cards, you should probably just fold here. It looks like the BB is taking a stab with missed overs and your hand is good against him, but you'll be left to a tough decision on the river against the station.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:49 AM

The megastation was the one that folded preflop. SB was a donk too but not to the same degree, and based upon previous play I believed he would bet the turn if he had a hand. The range of hands he'd see a flop with here include a great number of hands which cannot beat my 55.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:52 AM

Whoops, I thought the megastation was still in the hand. In that case, I still like min-raising and taking a free showdown, especially since the board pairing 3s could worry a lot of hands that DO beat you since it was checked around on the flop.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:13 AM

Fold. If the guy is very loose you have no hand range and the only thing you can beat is a bluff. If he has an 8 he probably isn't folding. The raise for the free showdwon play doesn't make sense. He may move in with a big club or bluff and make you play your third nut low pair for your stack. Maybe live if you've got a tell you can make this play but just b/c the guy has any two cards doesn't mean you should play big pots with very small hands. You're not raising this hand for value so its a bluff and bluffing weak loose players is never a good idea.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:41 AM

I'm certainly not folding after I raise (except perhaps if it's the button that moves in over the top, but I expect this to happen close to never). Look how big the pot is. And I'm not bluffing. I believe I hold the best hand.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:51 AM

I guess my question is what information leads you to believe you hold the best hand? The other two things I think you need to look at is if you're wrong you could be drawing to two fives (a slight chance of being dead) and if you're right the best case scenario assuming villain will only go the distance with a club is he has 12 outs against you if not most of the time 15.