Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Anyone ever been to Kuwait?

I'm thinking of having a couple of days there in December. Where should I stay? Where should I eat? What should I see?

Thanks,

Dean
Old 11-16-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever been to Kuwait?

Are you serious?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Yes. I stayed at the crowne plaza. It had a nice gym and pool. For a middle eastern country, Kuwait is ok. It is very developed and modern. Not much to do recreationally. Nothing, actually except hang at the hotel or maybe go to a gold market. I would recommend the UAE over Kuwait if you want to go the region. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are great cities and there is much more to do.

Edit: I have to say though the fruit juices in Kuwait are the best I have ever had.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM

I stayed in a tent in the middle of the desert near some oilfield. I wouldnt recommend it. The bed was uncomfortable and the room service sucked.

Do go there if you can avoid it. Sorry man, but there just is no good reason to go if you dont have to.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Been there a couple times.

Can't recommend anything for you, as I wasn't exactly on vacation.

Stay near the port if you can though.

Dubai is much nicer.

Middle Eastern cuisine is pretty good, heavy on the goat by products from what I remember, stews, flat bread, etc. Not bad.

What should you see? No clue. Kuwait is small. Mostly desert too. I was there 13 years ago, so I imagine a lot has changed.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:33 PM

I never made it over to Kuwait, but I've still got a bunch of buddies in that general region. My first inclination toward this thread was, obviously, is this a joke?

I was unaware that Kuwait is considered a vacation destination. That just seems weird to me. Mental hangup, perhaps.

Ah well. Have fun over there, if you decide to go.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:36 PM

The cheapest flight I can get to Bangkok goes via Kuwait, and I can get a stopover for free - seems like Kuwait is a bit boring, but imo it would be a waste not to have a couple of days there.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:37 PM

Go to Bahrain instead, much nicer and much more of a vaction type place. Ive been to both and wouldnt want to go back to either though.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 PM

For those recommending Dubai, which could be an option for £50 or so more, is it just loads of mega impressive buildings or is there some culture and history there?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cheapest flight I can get to Bangkok goes via Kuwait, and I can get a stopover for free - seems like Kuwait is a bit boring, but imo it would be a waste not to have a couple of days there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously - it sounds like a waste, but believe me... its not worth it if you can avoid it. If you have a layover, dont leave the airport. At least there is moderate security there.

Im not sure where you are from, but as an American, we arent looked to favorably upon in the middle east these days... and we tend to stand out in a crowd.