Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Continuation Bet/Check Behind

I have a question concerning continuation bets rather than a specific hand. Lets say you are at a table for quite some time and there are some familiar opponents. You play tight aggressive, raise strong hands and also several other hands in position. Your image is that of a winning player who usually shows down the goods. You take down a lot of pots by raising pf, getting a caller or 2 and then betting 2/3 to full pot on the flop and getting opponents to fold. You do this almost every time you raise. My question is, when you raise preflop and have position on the callers, how often do you check behind instead of continuation bet especially if you fear a check-raise? I know it probably depends on the opponent, stack sizes and the strength of your hand/draw. But I just wondered if many players check behind with say, an AK on a Q47 flop.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Continuation Bet/Check Behind

need to be more specific, depends mostly on
1.) how often have I been folding when ck riased to c-bet
2.) number of opponets
3.) how aggressive are opponets
4.) what hands have I been showing down when I c-bet
etc. etc.

as to your qeustion, heads up A LOT, 3 way sometimes, 4 way not very often
Old 11-14-2005, 04:00 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Lets say that you have laid down a couple times to ck-raises. You also have called and reraised a few when you were strong and not continuation betting.
Lets say you have 1-2 opponents with ~100bb stacks.
If the opponent is more aggro, would you tend to check more often to keep the pot smaller?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:42 AM

vs aggros

you should still c-bet at decent frequency, but mix in tiny more checks, like maybe mix of 80% cbet/ 20% check. you check more to get free cards with hands that have decent chance of improving to best hand
ie)AK on J83 flop

you should always c-bet hands that can't really improve when checked to, since bluff equity is all it has.
ie) after raising 78s, flop comes KJ3 and checked to you.

another tactic vs aggesive players that checkraise your c-bet often is to call their cr's with little to nothing
then taking it away on turn when they check/lead small to you (scare card= bonus). this of course is a more risky/sophistcated play and you need to be fairly sure that there is high % of villan giving up their hand on turn.