Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: A made-up hand

I doubt anybody cares, but I might as well post what I actually did in the hand.

I played it up through the flop checkraise as in the OP but I led the turn for $50, then pushed the (brick) river for $150 (a little under pot). He hesitated for a long time before calling the turn then ran his clock down to 1 second before folding the river.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:12 PM

It scares me to think that people are making these plays in these games.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 PM

Why?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Well I wouldn't have bet the turn with a hand that couldn't stand a check-raise.

However, check-raising the turn all-in on a semi-bluff is a play I used to make all the time when I was younger and more brash.

I think it's a losing play against your average Party $200 NL player. However it would certainly be a winning play against me in most situations, because I routinely make big laydowns.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I wouldn't have bet the turn with a hand that couldn't stand a check-raise.

However, check-raising the turn all-in on a semi-bluff is a play I used to make all the time when I was younger and more brash.

I think it's a losing play against your average Party $200 NL player. However it would certainly be a winning play against me in most situations, because I routinely make big laydowns.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. I think there are a lot of donks in this game but there are also a lot of people who think they play well (and probably beat the donks) but have some exploitable holes (like always folding one pair to a turn checkraise). Against a loose/passive type who cannot fold top pair, it would definitely be a bad play on a draw (but an excellent play with a set or two pair).
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM

I'm with TWP on this one, pushing the turn for fold equity + suckout factor is so ugly compared to a flop 3-bet.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with TWP on this one, pushing the turn for fold equity + suckout factor is so ugly compared to a flop 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Flop 3bet only works if the flop bet gets raised and, if it doesn't, I'm in a lousy situation on a brick turn. I like the line actually took (checkraise, lead, lead) better than leading the flop.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:53 PM

With your line, you're in a worse position on the turn brick than with my line.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:56 PM

If I lead for $10 and he calls, I have ~$220 left on the turn with ~$30 in the pot OOP on a draw. What are you doing on a brick turn? Check/folding? Leading and folding to a raise? Going for bet/3bet again? Checkraising? What about if the turn hits?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Flop 3bet only works if the flop bet gets raised and, if it doesn't, I'm in a lousy situation on a brick turn. I like the line actually took (checkraise, lead, lead) better than leading the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The line you took... would this be the standard line you would take against a TAG opponent? It seems quite bold. If it's not a standard line could you plese expound on what lines you would consider in this situation.

What if your opponent was looser and more of a donk? What would be a standard line in that case?