Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Baltimore MD Cardroom Busted

lol and it sucks too...
Old 11-06-2005, 10:12 PM

All this reminds me of why I left Maryland 8 yrs ago [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 AM

Is it sad that this is one of the things I'm looking forward to when I transfer colleges? Well, Netteller and possibly a legal cardroom near whereever it is I live.

Anyway, more generally, you'd have to be an idiot to play in such a tournament. I mean, there's legal, there's home-game illegal, and there's blatently stupid illegal. Baltimore has a number of games that I can think of off the top of my head, but they all rake. That's a no go, and thinking about it, it's an easy political win for the Mayor of Baltimore. He gets to enforce laws already on the books, expose 'illegal gaming' and "clean the city" all in one fell swoop.

On a more political note, I think it's really absurd that Ehrlich can't get slots passed. Or at least, I think it's absurd that my county (Prince Geroges County) won't vote for it since we need something to bring business into the county.

-Alpha
Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Update to this story...

The charges against the players were all dismissed due to police error. They could be recharged but for some reason the police decided they had better things to do. This is good for the players, but bad for Maryland, since a few respectable citizens going to jail over some Bulls**t might encourage a change in poker laws...It's odd that the police made the same error on every single citation also, almost like they did it on purpose? Paranoia: yes.

There's a letter to the editor about the situation in this weeks Baltimore City Paper if you wanna Take A Look... .
Old 11-16-2005, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the link. Heyneman's letter to the editor is pretty good.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM

I can not wait to visit! I will feel so much safer walking downs the street knowing that illegal poker will not be tolerated!

What the heck, I may even raise a family there!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:25 PM

I would have been there had I been in town that night, lucky for me I changed my flight and got back on Thru.
I went up THru. morning and to my surprize the lot was empty
two regular standing outside told me they just found out the joint got shut down.

This really sucks, this was the only reason I was coming to the area, to play in this game. They police really [censored] me on this one. There are plenty of games the area but none got the amount of bad players this place got, real shame.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 PM

I thought it was fairly obvious that they made the "mistake" on purpose because they wanted to shut the game down with as little hassle as possible for the people involved. Lots of good PR and no paperwork or time wasted in court. Everyone wins.... well, except for the people who want to play cards [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 PM

I don't know how I missed this, but another club was raided in Bmore last weekend.

Story here (bmore sun) (Sorry you have to register)

No advertisments for this low stakes cash game. Very small club, two or three tables.

Once again the players, including an off-duty cop, WILL be charged. No "accidents" this time. This was very small time, private club, very friendly and not shady at all...I mean: "Police seized $4,600." Dude!

Apparently this was an "internal affairs" investigation of a cop who was "invloved in high stakes gambling..." How many policemen play in homegames...are they gonna bust them too? It just doesn't add up.

I'm sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I just can't stand the fact that innocent people are being prosecuted for this very wack law...(not to mention that it easily have been me...[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]) Are home games next? Aiyaaahahh!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 PM

The criminals running this game and the vermin who participated in it should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, preferably invoking provisions of the Patriot Act.

Time to add another wing to Gitmo.