Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 07:20 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: Hmm, I haven\'t run into one of these problems lately.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't going to value bet the river, what advantage is there to raising rather than calling down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I can think of one. Let's say he has KK or the last two QQ's, and he's weak enough to lay it down on the paired J's when I bet the river. So yes let's say I've found the one loose semi-passive, who likes to make big laydowns.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is certainly true, but I thought it was too unlikely to be worth considering. Raising the turn may also end up gaining you an extra bet if you river a king, which I suppose is nice. But it also allows him to three-bet you on the turn and I think that is bad enough to offset the rare advantages of raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as it turns out, our rare form of bird ended up folding.

I of course thought to myself, you know I desperatly screwed up that hand, and got lucky. I was just looking for some confirmation that I'm a nutjob.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: Hmm, I haven\'t run into one of these problems lately.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you say the river bet rather than the turn raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I have considered if the Turn is the problem or the flop, or perhaps it's just a preflop issue, I'm still a little uneasy saying the turn is the issue. In some regards I must assume that part of the blame falss on my valuation of a pair of queens. I fold a pair of jacks here, and I think that's right. Kings I cap, and AKs I play likely, AKo I likely pitch. Queens caught me of guard, but once I commit to the hand I think I have to play it like it's best. So I keep looking back at the preflop play.